Hello, I have had a problem with my eustation tubes in both ears for years, ever since i was a child. I had grommets fitted on two occasions due to fluid called "glue ear". I am now 25 years old and still have problems and recently had grommets fitted in again, however, i do not have any fluid anymore but was advised by ENT doctors that this could help with my symtoms. One of the symtoms is that i get awful pain in ears when on an aircraft, with this i was told that having grommets will almost certainly stop this. The other symtoms that i have i was told that they cannot garantee grommets will help. These were:
1. echoing in both ears (like i was talking in a megaphone, only with my own voice this happened).
2. creaking feeling coming from my head (almost like my head needed oiling!!) I was told by my GP that i am hearing from the bones in my head rather than hearing from my ears, however, the ENT doctor did not know anything about what that could be!.

Ever since i have had the operation for grommets (had this done on 26th Sept 2008) these symtoms have heightened and are now worse than ever, and on top of that i am having awful pain in my left ear (which was always the worst ear) and have had blood come from it, i am now really muffled in my right ear (so loss of hearing probably), and also i have a bubbling sensation in left ear and popping in the right! And been having headaches every day.
I am so worried that by having grommets put in has now damaged my hearing, and will not return to normal. I have been back to my GP and then again to the ENT doc and told them my concerns but they have palmed me off with ear drops!
Please, if you have any advice i would like to hear it as i am very concerned and destressed. :'(

Thank you
Sam

i have a very similar story sam, and i am too on the drops which ones did they give you by the way. i am/was a recording guitarist/sound engineer and have always been carefull with ear protection and then this happens! ive always had that creaky clicky thing in my head, ive also got a click in my ear which is why i had the bloody grommets now im partially deaf and still have the clicky ear. please can u let me know if your ears got better over time or went back to normal? im potentially suicidal over this.
Any help much appreciated,
Mike

hi I had grommet fitted on 7th jan I have gone deaf in right ear with it I hope it gets better soon 2014

Has anything changed since? I`ve the same problem. :(