I've just had grommets put into both ears 3 days ago and now I feel partially deaf. Also at night, when its really quiet, i can hear a "whooshing" noise in both ears which co-incides with my pulse. It sounds like my ears are swimming with oars.

Perforations/Scarring springs to mind.

I am not an infant with "glue ear". I'm 26 and the ENT thinks I "may"have a eustachian tube dysfunction. I had the operation because I was getting pressure in my ears leading to earache.

The good news is that the earache has gone... but now I am left feeling partially deaf - muffled hearing. I would rather have the pain/pressure than this muffled hearing! I don't remember the docs tellin me to expect this and it certainly isn't in any of the many info leaflets / websites about grommet operations. I gather there is a very small risk of ear drum perforations... but from what i can gather that is only a problem AFTER the grommets fall out. I also gather there can be very small risks of "scarring" and apparently it is highly unlikely that grommet ops can cause long term damage.

I'll be ringing the GP / ENT tomorrow.

HELP !

Hi
i had both ears done on sat.22nd. and DITTO! i would rather have put up with the pain than feeling muffled and partially deaf, the consultant says the whooshing is normal! could have told me that before, i'm just hoping it will clear up, even closing the car door sounds weird, really tinny and far away.
I have a check up in 2 weeks, really hope it's settled by then.
But this feeling of cotton wool in my ears is driving me mad. and yes i get the pulsing when i lay down at night too.
Good luck
jacs. :-)

I felt much better after 1 week... though the docs still surpised I felt deaf at all. Would have been nice to have known what to expect.

I had grommets put into both ears yesterday, now I'm trying to work and all I can feel is this hot feeling, blocked ears, and everything sounds softer like I can't hear properly. Hope it gets better soon...

Dear all,
Please please can someone reply with an update to whether their symptoms went away. I am a 32 yr old femaile, had slight fluid in my ears but as I was meant to be taking my daughter abroad tommorow they did a grommet insertion in both ears yesterday. I have felt deaf ever sence like my head is in a goldfish bowl. It is making me really rather scared and I have seen 2 ENT specialists since including the surgeon both of whom say there is no explanation for it. The grommets and clear and the fluid is drained but I can hear all this whoosing as someone else described and if a fan is on it sounds so so loud, a teaspoon o0nj a cup sounds really loud yet someones voice sounds rounded and soft and like they are talking through water.
I am so frightened that this wont go away? Did everyone else's pass in time?
Im really grateful for any responses. My ears are also in ALOT of pain, far worse than any ear ache I have ever had.
I wish I had never had this done, there is no way I can travel, I couldnt even drive feeling like this.
Cassy : (

Hi, I too am having this problem, one ear more than the other, it's been 4 days now since I had it done. I noticed a slight muffling in both ears on the day of the op but my hearing was still fairly good, however now it is very poor. I have all the symptons everyone else has (fans sounding loud, voices sound unclear and quiet) and I want to know when it will stop? I went to the doctors 2 days ago and I have got an appointment in a couple of days, apparently there is a bit of debris in my ears.

My ears also had blood discharge after the operation and the doctor said I have a blood clot behind one ear. Please help!

Hi, I had very blocked, hot ears for about 2 weeks, it was horrible. After that it was much better, but I still have issues with my ears blocking when the weather is humid/about to rain.

hi everyone,
I am also having the same problem that some of you are talking about, I have suffered from blocked feeling in my right ear for about a year and a half, and 4 days ago i decided to go ahead with getting a grommet put in that ear to releive the pressure. From the second I had the opening in my eardrum my hearing has been completly out of whack and muffled. It feels like im half deaf.

Can those who had the same feeling please post to let me know if this went away and how long it took? Thankyou

Hi everyone, I had grommet put in my left ear 7 days ago...I have the whooshing, ringing and totally muffled hearing. At night when I lay down all this liquid comes out all night long. I can't sleep because I have to keep changing the cotton ball in my ear to obsorb all this fluid. This is crazy, wish I never had it done and wondering if it will ever go away. My appointment is not for another week. My hearing is totally distorted like everyone else described. If this is normal why don't our doctors tell us what to expect? If it's not normal and I stay like this I think I'll lose my mind : (

I am having the same things, both ears, stabbing pain/whooshing/yellow muck pouring out the left ear every 20mins, all the sounds arent right doors dont sound like doors and gravel sounds like cardboard, there is an infection in the left one hence the mucky muck gp gave me penicillan antibiotic tablets and then the hospital gave me steriod anti biotic drops which can also cause deafnessif it gets into the middle ear which is exactly what ive been told to do. Its been 10 days since the op, and the left ear is still really clogged with gunk and i can only wait for the infection to clear to have an idea of what state my hearing is in, thte right ear is now hearingsounds properly but much quieter than normal (is this because i can only hear out of that one i dont kno) so when i turn my head the sounds come and go. Ive been suicidal over this as im a recording musician and have been for 20years im only 27 and i had many aspirations i dont kno what i'll do if my hearing doesnt come come back. the only risk i knew about was the hole in the ear drum may not repair itself, no one informed me this could happen and if i knew i wouldnt have had it done. i really wish someone would put on here how theyre ears are now it seems alot of us are suffering in the dark!

I have all of the above - whoosing at night like rowing, muffled hearing, hearing my own voice in my head, and the ENT consultant after an emergency appointment is puzzled, he says he could take them out again but there is no certainty that it will go back to how i was before. I had grommets fitted because of fluid build up, I have sacrifced my hearing for releaing the fluid. Anyone who has written above, please can you advise me if these symptoms disappear or if it is worth having them taken out to the chance to hear better. Thanks

oh jeez me too. Had grommets 2 days ago and all I heard it after the operation hearing usually improves but it didn't! Know I wonder if I shouldn't have had it done. The nurse said it may be because of swelling and should go away in about two days. I don't understand why you are the only people I searched on the internet who has the same problem as mine!
If hearing returns I'll tell

I had grommets put in 5 days ago because I was having trouble unblocking my ears, particularly when the weather was stormy, and I always felt severe pain in my ears whilst flying during descent. I'm 22 years old.
Since the grommet insertion, I have had muffled hearing and a CONSTANT sensation of blocked ears that despite forever trying to unblock them by pinching my nose and blowing doesn't give any relief.
My ENT specialist did not tell me of this either!
After the operation, I was told that the muffled hearing, like everything is underwater, and the blocked sensation would go away after one or two days but evidently there has been no improvement.
If any of you have seen an improvement in your condition please let me know!!
Thank you!

hi there i had the grommet op 11 days ago,,,nightmare i too hear my heartbeat in a swooshy sound in y ears constantly...went to the gp and he sed i hab a bloodclot on my ear drum from the op.only reason i had the op was to try and help my vertigo...which i might add has got worse...im desperate as im now off sick from work as i couldnt possibly go back to work til this whooshy noise stops :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

i had grommett insertion in the left ear i cant hear a thing in it ...i wish i never had it done,i sort of new it would not help my high frequency hearing loss..can anybody perhaps a doctor tell me if i have it removed will i get the partial hearing back ..im so worried and have panic attacks now