when im running, even at a higher pace things are fine but seems to be out of the blue I get a sharp pain in my chest, the thing that scares me most is that the pain is on my left side from my heart.

I dont feel it happens when im really pushing it but can occur at any time. If I take a big breath and push out my chest, shoulders back the pain will ease and clear.

I broke a few ribs on that side a few months back and wonder could that be related??

The broken ribs could be a factor but I'd have it checked out at the Dr.

chest pain on exertion is scary, i had it last year and couldn't rest till i had a complete cardiac workup, but my age(48) pushed me and the doctors to do that as well. everything was fine heartwise but the pain really mimicked heart attack as it was on the left side as well and only when i was on the treadmill.

i'd see a doctor, could be residual pain from the rib break. did they tell you it was ok to run again? i'd never run with chest pain until i had a medical evaluation, but that's me.

been to the docs........

have to go back next thurs for tests as he thinks the chest pain could be related to asthma! he also found polyps up my nose which would affect my breathing leading to chest pains.

Bit sceptical at this stage because the pain is a sharp jab in the heart area but he's the doc.

i didn't run at all before the tests happened, about a week. i hope he does some sort of cardiac test along with the breathing. you'll probably be reassured after the results. if not, there's always other doctors. (i went straight to a cardiologist)
i wonder if the "sharp jab" is still happening because of the broken rib, as in muscles around that area are spasming when you try to take a deep breath?? my pain was sharp too but he ran every test there was in order to put my mind at rest. the pain seemed to just go away on its own, i believe it had to have been a chest muscle issue. all cardiac tests i had were better than normal.
good luck, i know it's unsettling but worth it to wait on those test results.

What kind of tests are they going to do?

You sound like a good candidate for a stress echo

ive been taking for astma tests and have to record my breathing each day for 2 weeks. have to admit in the mornings the results are low compared to the rest of the day.

be back next week to find out. im a natural worrier so maybe im over reacting but the heart is kinda important so better safe than sorry.

Have you had a stress test or at least an EKG?

Breathing test are good, but if you are having chest pain, it sounds more cardiac related.

There is so much crammed into your chest that it is hard to say what causes it. Sure, chest pain is an indicator of cardiac problems, but it doesn't mean you definitely have them.

The fact that you can run at a moderate pace without trouble is a good sign that your heart is in good condition. If you are feeling nausea, cold sweats, etc, associated with the pain, this is much more concerning.

You may want to consider finding a D.O. (osteopathic physician) who practices manipulative technique and see if they can take a look at those ribs. It is common for poor rib function to have an effect on oxygenation. If you injured them they might just need a little help moving normally again.