Whole day yesterday I have been experiencing heart skipping beats and shortness of breath. Sometimes I would feel as if I can’t breath at all. I would have to take a deep breath. When it started first I thought that I may have over did it with work out but I got pretty concerned when that went on the whole day. Then I remembered that my aunt, mom’s sister had the same symptoms when she was diagnosed with lupus. I would like to know if lupus is heredity, and if these symptoms are common of the disease. Thx!

Let’s say that heredity can play a role in lupus. But only ten percent of lupus patients have a first or second-degree relative diagnosed with lupus. The symptoms you described are however, quite common for lupus. Pericarditis is inflammation of the sac that surrounds the heart. Pericarditis occurs when the lining of the pericardium becomes inflamed, because it has been attacked by antibodies. Symptoms of pericarditis are chest pain that may feel worse when lying down and better when you sit or lean forward, fever, rapid heart beat, and shortness of breath. Pericarditis does not imply organ-threatening disease, since the heart tissue is not involved and it is easily treated with NSAIDs or steroids.