Firstly, i would just like to clarify that WAS NOT SNOOPING, i was looking for a hot waterbottle and i gave her one for christmas so i knew she would have one in one of her drawers. Secondly, i am a 17 year old female.

But when i got the waterbottle out i saw underneath it wrapped in some pjs a bottle of pure vodka (half full) and an empty sachet of mix your own cocktail (serves 1). I didn't know what to do, so i left it where it was. But now i feel really sick and guilty about not telling my dad.

Her and my dad have arguments about how much she drinks anyway and i don't want to start another huge argument (plus i'll have to explain how i found it). She drinks daily and can easily finish 1 or 2 bottles of wine in one evening, because she constantly tops up her glass. Sometimes she'll offer my dad a glass of wine too, just as an excuse to drink and she'll fill her glass right to the top and leave my dad's half empty. Over Christmas she finished entire bottles of gin without my dad even getting a sip. She drinks when she has a meal, when she's watching tv, in her room...whenever she can really.

It's been happening since i was very little. I remember when i was about 6 or 7 and she made me promise not to tell my dad how much she'd drunk that evening, and i thought it was a silly game so when my dad came home from work i said "GUESS WHAT MUM'S BEEN DOING" and she got really cross at me.

When she drinks, you know straight away because she gets all edgy and hyper and when you point it out she'll go in a huge mood and sit there with a scowl and won't talk to anyone and instead goes to bed with a glass/bottle of wine. I love my mum when she doesn't drink, but when she does i can't stand to be around her.

Should i tell my dad? I want my mum to stop drinking in secret, but if i do tell my dad there'll be a huge argument and she'll deny she has a problem. In addition to that, the argument will inevitably turn into an argument about her and my dad's sisters and mum, who she absolutely despises because she thinks they look down on her. They'll scream and shout for hours and my mum will start crying and swearing and be really aggressive and hurtful towards my dad.

hey there. first of all i would like to say how sorry i am to here of your situation. alcohol does terrible things to the nicest people..... ultimatly it is you mother who is going to have to make th deision to work on her drinking. i would hold of telling your dad but approach your mom privatly and just mention that you werer looking for the water bottle and while looking for it notived the bottle of vodka. do not accuse herw of anything but tell her that you did not tell dad but that you love her and are just worried and it hurts you and the rest of your family when your mom drinks. and perhaps you and her could work on getting her drinking to a more normal level.

try somehting along thoes lines and dont get upset at her because as tyo know that will just make things worse. if you dont want to tell her to her face you could write a letter and leave it somewhre where only she will find it. lilke perhas by the bottle of vodka.

this is what i suggest but do what you want i hope this helps some... good luck ;-)

Oh my god, your fuckng overreacting, Americans are such tight holes. Here in Australia, everyone drinks, it's normal My mum would love to have a can of jacks or Jim beam or yeah even a cocktail or two every night so she won't have to deal With the pain stress and anguish she's feeling usually caused by family or friends Let her drink, and let her have fun.

Ey there guest. I normally wouldn't comment on a post that is so old however I feel I need to in this situation for a couple of reasons. 1 alcohol is normal you are right it is ok to drink live life and have fun most people doo and that's ok. But alcohol, like most other things can be abused. In this case the mom is using it as a treatmen for dealing with her life not to simply enjoy. 2. This is also putting a strain on her family which isn't right or normal and because of this alone her over use of alcohol is a problem. 3) I would appreciate it if you didn't classify americans as being f-ing tight holes. We are humans just as you guys are. I have relatives who live in australia and personaly love austrailia as a country . I would appreciate if you sowed america and americans the same respect. Thank you

its fine to have a drink every once in a while so chillax and have a drink

tell ur mom to start smoking weed instead, it would be better for her and the family