Hello. I'm a middle aged woman and I'm confused because I don’t know what to do. You see, just recently I started to suffer from some strange symptoms such as breast tenderness, frequent headaches, hot flashes and night sweats.
So, I had reasons to believe that all these symptoms are normal menopause symptoms. At the beginning I didn’t want to take any medications because I thought I could survive without them but, believe me- I was wrong.
These night sweats were killing me so I have made my decision- some therapy is needed. I have heard some good stuff about hormone replacement therapy but also that it has several unwanted side effects. Who should take it and what are the alternatives?

Well, like you said everything has its wanted and unwanted side effects. Hormone replacement therapy, beside all great effects on relieving menopause symptoms, supposedly it has also some side effects such as increasing risk of heart disease, breast cancer, stroke, blood clots and dementia.
Although, many people are discussing about this but for some — such as those who have severe hot flashes — the benefits of short-term hormone therapy may still outweigh the risks.
Of course that you have an alternative to this therapy. You see, healthy way of life is probably the best alternative. Physical activity, non-smoking, low-fat food and healthy food can relieve almost all menstrual symptoms. There are also some homeopathic remedies that can help you.