Please if anyone asks, I accidentally swallowed a grasshopper, it feels like its in my throat, and I'm having trouble breathing, and swallowing food, and plus there is a lump on my throat too, before the accident, there wasn't a lump, but now the lump just stays there, I really need help, I went to the hospital to get it checked out, but the doctors and nurses didn't seem qualified, or they just really didn't care about what was happening to me, they told me to wait it off for a week and comeback for a check up, its already been 3 days since the week started, and it feels like its getting worse, I wish I never swallowed that grasshopper, I might die, do you think?????? :(c

Hi guest,

It's unlikely you'll die if you ate it 3 days ago.

More likely it is your anxiety getting to you.  

Can you speak in full sentences? If so your airway is good.   Are you eating/drinking/swallowing?  You don't say anything about saliva dribbling out of your mouth.

By now your body has digested the grasshopper.

Hope it helps.

It still feels like something is down there, in my throat, I swallowed a whole grass hopper, I didn't get to chop off its legs!! I read that if you eat a grasshopper, you must cut off the legs, as the legs can get stuck in the throat, what do I do?!?!? I am still having trouble breathing at times, and when I eat, I can still swallow, but it just doesn't feel right! I would get a check up, but the doctors and nurses here, are mostly concerned if I am feeling alright, they didn't even check my throat!!! All they did was feel my throat, and told me to wait a few days until I poop it out, I haven't pooped it out!! (I think!!)

Hi guest,

By now your body would have digested the grasshopper. Food starts breaking down in your mouth so the grasshopper was already being digested when you swallowed it.

Breathing and swallowing use different "pipes". The esophagus carries food, the trachea carries air to the lungs so you shouldn't have trouble breathing.

Worrying about things can make them worse. You get all sorts of symptoms and can make yourself physically sick.

Hope it helps.

Thats what they said!!!! AHhhh I'm going crazy!!!

Hi guest 523523,

Did the lump go away eventually? My partner just tried a grasshopper with legs as well and complains about a leg being stuck. He just started spitting blood so I am getting a bit worried. He eats, drinks and breathes normally still though.