It all started last Thursday when I ate some Cracker Jack. I choked on some, and immediately coughed it right back up. Ever since then I've had this feeling like I have a kernel or popcorn shell in my throat. I tried taking it out (gargling, eating bread, and even sticking my finger back there.) It made it worse! Due to my nervous nature and to my anxiety, I checked into the emergency room. Strep Tests were done, all negative. Still I felt that they didn't really check for any blockage or food particles. They couldn't find anything, but I was still worried because they didn't take an X-Ray. I went home, still nervous, slept, everything seemed to be going fine. It wasn't as bad as before, but it was still bothersome. I even went to my GP to check. He checked again, and he couldn't find anything. Still no X-Ray done. Both doctors at the ER and my GP said that I might have scratched my throat with the kernel. I was feeling easier with myself. I was dandy and fine on Tuesday, my "lump" uneasiness was fading away (forgot to mention that my lump was located in my upper throat right and left sides, it would alternate.) I was feeling fine, until I ate dinner that night. Coughed up again, now I felt that there was food stuck in it again, this time the right side of my throat. This was all happening Tuesday night, and all of Wednesday, although after reading some stuff online I've become more anxious. My uncle even insisted that I should take chloroseptic. I took some, still felt that lump and irritation. I felt hopeless. While in the shower I was moving my tongue around and I felt a kernel type particle in the back of my throat. I felt like the more I felt it the worse my throat got, and now it's very irritated. It's scratchy, and I feel like it's just getting worse. My anxiety is acting up, and I'm even having trouble swallowing, but that can be from anxiety. But I forgot to mention that through all of this, I have been breathing normally. I have just been trying to cough or hack out whatever is in there. So I'm asking this... What is wrong, should I see a ENT, and what are some ways I can relax? Thank you very much.

Health Advisor

Hello, Marcgil.

First of all, I think that you should visit ENT, just to ease your anxiety.

I, personally, think that you're just irritated your throat, because I did that in several occasions. :) There is no real danger in that, but it's annoying as hell. So, I really understand how you feel. 

Meanwhile, eat as much liquid food as you can and, for other form of food, just chew it longer. Try drinking some tea and hot chocolate (not too hot). Remember, the fact that you breathe normal indicates that your state may not be too dangerous. So, don't worry too much. 

But to be sure, visit ENT. And promise me that you'll bring back a good news. Cheers!

Hi,   Im going thru the exact same thing, only i ate popcorn, and that night felt like a kernal stuck in the back of my throat.  I tried everything, nothing worked.  I waited one week then went to an ENT Dr,  he couldnt see anything, and said i could have scratched it. It might take two weeks to heal.  So have hope hun, i no it is irritating, but  i will wait with you as i still have 4 more days till my two weeks up.  And its still there.  Hugs