My father started to complain of joint pain few years ago. I was thinking that is because he is old, until few weeks ago when he noticed more symptoms. He reported me fatigue, lack of energy, and abdominal pain. This worried me so I talk to his doctor, who told me he would be checked for hemochromatosis. I would like to know something about it, is that problem which can cause abdominal and pancreas pain.

Hemochromatosis, the most common form of iron overloads disease. That inherited disorder causes the body to absorb and store too much iron, and extra iron builds up in organs and damages them. Without treatment, the disease can cause affected organs to fail. In the body, iron becomes part of hemoglobin, a molecule in the blood that transports oxygen from the lungs to tissues. A thorough medical history, a physical examination, and routine blood tests might help his doctor to rule out other conditions that could be causing the symptoms. This information often provides helpful clues, such as a family history of arthritis. If your father really suffers of the hemochromatosis, then his treatment will be quite simple, inexpensive, and safe. The first step is to rid the body of excess iron with the process called phlebotomy. That means removing blood the same way it is drawn from donors at blood banks. The goal of hemochromatosis therapy is to bring blood ferritin levels to the low end of normal and keep them there, with prevention of damage some organs.

the best idea is to ask your doctor, not someone on the internet, however i have hemoromotosis, i was for a long time falling asleep during class, and not eating well, then eating lots and getting very unfit, when i give blood frequently i feel, act, and look alot better, like the above comment said, i had not heard, but i can see how it can affect every organ in a persons body, the way i help mine is too give blood.

But in no way should you come on the internet and look for answers, by all means see a doctor and if not satisfied get a 2nd maybe even 3rd forth opinion.......

I was wondering if it was safe to donate blood. I have family that needs some blood transfusions and wanted to participate. Will my hemochromatosis hurt him if I donate.

It is safe. As a generic issue you can not pass it on to people through blood.