My father had some problems with his abdomen. He was experiencing pain for some time. He went to his doctor and he told him that laparotomy is needed. Can someone tell me more about this procedure? What is it all about?

You have not told me what was the diagnosis of your father's condition? Many abdominal problems, once they are identified, can be fixed during the laparotomy. A laparotomy is a surgical incision into the abdominal cavity and this procedure is performed to examine the abdominal organs. In other cases, another operation is required. Another name for laparotomy is abdominal exploration and the main reason for a laparotomy is to investigate abdominal pain. The abdominal organs include the digestive tract and the organs of excretion. Surgeon needs to operate to find out the exact cause of pain. the procedure of laparotomy is performed under general anesthesia. The surgeon makes a large, single cut through the skin and muscle of the abdomen. This way, the underlying organs can be clearly viewed and carefully examined. Once diagnosed, the problem may be fixed on the spot, in other cases, a subsequent operation may be needed. The muscle of the abdominal wall and the overlying skin are sutured closed once the laparotomy is complete. I hope that everything will be ok with your father.