Currently trying to discover what is going on with my son - anyone have anything like this before? Waiting on insurance authorizations and MD appointments and driving hundreds of miles is making me crazy with worry. It's gotten to the point of him failing school this year from missing so much time due to illness.

We went to the ER a couple months ago with severe right lower abdominal pain...did the CAT scan w/ contrast and it showed swollen lymph nodes (appendix was fine) and inflammed bowels and liver. Liver Enzyme tests came back high/abnormal. No fever, no chills, no other symptoms. Pain went down after a week so we thought it was viral and the MD was 'waiting it out'. Took more and more blood tests and liver function tests are getting worse at each check, but the pain is better - only hurts if you press on it now.

My son is soooo tired, but the MD keeps saying he's a teenager. Ok, I know teens get tired, but my son tells me he feels awful all the time, but I ask if he has a headache, sore throat, etc and he says no and I just don't feel good. So anyways - now we are going to a gastroenterologist 100 miles away next week. It took all this time for the insurance authorization. Anyone get any further on this and actually find out what was wrong? I work for a nursing service and have heard about how they 'stage' lymphoma and how important early detection is in that cancer...and if it turns out to be cancer, my son might not have very good chances to survive (or so I'm told)...so would a gastroenterologist recommend an oncologist if he thought cancer was a possibility? I am worried about how long this is going on. With the rough year my son has had (to include the whole family getting carbon monoxide poisoning this past year that took a long time to recover from fully), my husband booked a condo on the florida coastline for the two of us and my son in a few weeks...I wish the MD's would figure this out so I'd feel safe taking my son on vacation to see him smile again. I want him to go parasailing, snorkeling, etc...but I'm afraid he won't be able to. Are there simple answers to why lymph nodes do this and the liver tests?

Hi. I just came accross your article about your son. Is he okay now, Did u find out what was wrong with him??? im Asking because my son has the same thing at the moment. He is very jaundiced looking, his skin and eyes are yellow. His Liver function tests is all elevated, he has no energy at all, vomitting, severe adbo pains and hes just had an ultrasound and has numerous enlarged lymph nodes in his abdominal area. Any ideas you have would be greatfully recieved. Thanx. Bev

My 10 year old son is going through the same thing with the same symptoms. The one Doctor told me he just didn't like school and had a stomach ache and that he is depressed. We are just starting with the gastroenterologist so we are waiting for all the blood work to come in. But every time they draw blood the liver enzymes are higher. I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone. Please let me know how it turns out for I am sick with worry.

Did you try maybe gluten free for 1 month.

I am not a doctor but I am a lab technologist. I am just going to make a suggestion to have your son tested for hemochromatosis. it is a disease where the body has an overload of iron and it doesn't get rid of it. it starts hurting the liver. I hope the best for you all.

P.S. It can be monitored with phlebotomy. They will draw a certain amount of blood from him every so often based on a ferritin level and keep his liver from being damaged. It runs in my family.

GALLBLADDER STONES..!!!!!
I hope it all has subsided by now. Please keep me posted of your outcome.

How is your son??? My 18 year old daughter, same thing!! And urine is dark brown! I hope he's ok, and I hope someone can shed some light on this???

Did you ever find out what's going on my 14 year old son is having same problem and they told me the same thing they said about your son????