Hi, i'm 20 years old and have had mono almost 5 years ago.
Ever since then i'v been having soar throats almost every month,
white puss on my tonsils,swollen glans/tonsils and sometimes painful to swallow.
I'v been to several doctors and have found no recovery.
I got retested for mono and was negative.
Doctors have taken swabs for strep throat as well which were negative.
I also have been to an allergist for the last two years, even getting allergy shots but I still get throat soars veryyy often.
My allergist said i have Post nasal drip. I'm takin antibiotis very often as well and the infection comes back in a month or so.
I have asked my doctor about maybe removing my tonsils, he says theres no need to because my tonsils are to small? My allergist gave me one last thing to try which is a candida mouth wash.that has yet again failed. My allergist said if that doesn't cure my throat infections then he's out of diagnosis. Every docotor I have been to have never seen or heard of my condition. I don't get sick often only my throat :'(.
I am very scared now i feel as if maybe i have a disease.
My mother has told me many times when she younger she had the same problems and till this day but not as bad anymore. IS this Genetic Please Help I am desperate and will be very grateful thank you

Noush, i have the exact same thing.
It happened after i had mono about 6 years ago, and my tonsils have never been the same. I have chronic enlarged tonsils, that often make me feel very sick even when i have no reason to be. They usually get most severely agitated if i have gotten less than 8 hours of sleep a night or if im feeling stressed about anything, which can be hard, especially being in my early 20's and a student with a part time job. It is weird though, because i am very healthy, i rarely drink alcohol or caffeine, and i don't smoke. I exercise almost everyday, and I am studying to be a dietician so i eat very health. yet without fail, they always act up at least once every two weeks and make me feel sick. Other than that, i never feel ill.

At the beginning my doctor kept giving me antibiotics, but after a couple of years i just stopped because they obviously weren't working, and i didn't think it was good for my body to be on them all the time. So I went to a naturopath, who made me take iron and vitamin C supplements, which I followed for a year but it didn't help either. I went to a throat specialist, who said he wouldn't take them out because the surgery would be more painful than keeping them in. I cried in front of him because he wouldn't. He said he would only take them out if i had 3 strep infections within 6 months. But it isn't step throat all the time, most of the time the area is just swollen and painful and my tonsils enlarge enough to make it hard to swallow and sometimes talk. So Ive just lived with them for the past 3 years.
I've had chronic laryngitis this summer, and my tonsils have been really enflamed, so i forced my doctor to get me in with the throat specialist again, so hopefully he will let me get them out. If he won't ill go to another city and get a second opinion. It is really hard to live with them like this all the time. It makes me angry that some of these doctors get to have all this power over what can and cannot happen to my body. Im the one who has to live with this chronic infection., and its probably been wrecking havoc on my body for all this time too.

My naturopath suggestd that they might be cryptic. my tonsils are very ugly and pitted, and i think that they are trying to fight something that isn't there.

Both my mother and father had their tonsils removed when they were younger, so i don't know if it's genetic. I think that maybe it's just our tonsils got damaged during our bout with mono and just havn't recovered well enough to function properly.

Ill let you know if my appointment leads to them being removed. wish me luck.

Wow this many not be a happy time or a really good thing for anyone but i'm so happy to know that i'm not alone!.. You said your throat bugs you when you get less sleep. I don't sleep very well either. Alot of my friends say that too they think it's my lack of sleep. But then again it could be anythin. I find I try and be my own doctor. I used to drink coffe all the time. Then i heard caffeein also could irritate your throat. I stopped that now. But i also smoke which is not good at all. I hate this i worry everyday. If I plan any trips or little events i'm constantly worrying if my throats going to be soar again. IT really bothers me not only i'm in pain but emotionally. I find i'm very depressed when my throat acts up! what you said about doctors it's are body but we can't make our own decision. It's so true. My allergist is so mean to me. I tell him i'm sick of taking antibiotics every single month. He yelled at me saying it's a sinus infection. But he doesn't understand that nothing else hurts but my throat! So I don't go to him any more. I just deal with the pain :'( I feel as if i should give up if no doctor i'v been to knows whats wrong with me. Does your throat hurt in the mornings often? Mine dies every morning and if i'm lucky it goes away maybe half an hour later. But then one day i'll wake up with a soar throat. My last soar throat was about 2 weeks ago that lasted almost a month!! I wonder if it really has something to do with mono? I just find it really weird that my mom had the same thing too and no doctors really kne what to do.. Well good luck and I hope a nice doctor will do as you wish. Keep in touch, thank you very much

My friend is going through this and I am looking up info to help her. Glad to know she is not alone. Let me know if you hear anything!!

welll it's been 26 day's and i'm clear, with noooo soar throat!!!! I think this

has been the longest i'v been without one. I'm telling you guys this.
because I changed some of my daily thing's I did before, to see if maybe

they were the poblem. I stopped drinking, any types of soda's (pepsi.coke,ice tea,).
Basically anything with caffeine in it. I was a bandit

for coffee, so since I cutt out my fav drink's, I had to leave the coffee in.
I now get decaffe, which is not that bad. So I can't be pretty sure yettt, if

Caffeine is the problem, butt it seems to kinda be working. I used to wake
up every morning with a little bit of a soar throat, but now not as much. I

alsooo don't eat to late. or when it's close to my bed time:) GERD is what

also, could be the big problem! Many people wouldn't believe soo, buttt I
did a lot of research and asking around, andddd it is veryy popular. Most

people who do have the problem with Gerd, and have no ther symptoms
that you may commonly get. So stay away from high acid food's and dont

eat before you go to bed. If that may be your problem, you should stick a

few books, or a little something under your bed posts, so that when
hyour sleeping, everything inn your stomach stays down. Sounds kinda

odd, but it makes a whole lot of sense to me now. I sleep with a lot of
pillows now, so that my upper body is on a higher angle then my lower
body. So I thought I should let you know on my little advice, and it migh
t help you. IF anyone else got any more idea's orrr found a cure let me
know!

i dont have tolsils. i got them removed when i was about 7. but it feels like i have them still. its very hard to swallow...anything...and it even hurts to open my mouth.

Glad to hear I am not the only one. I have suffered from sore throats and painful vocal chords for several years on an almost daily basis, almost driving me crazy as my doctors bills went higher and higher. I saw all kinds of specialists and have tried MANY imaginative solutions....all for nothing. Sometimes it feels like strep-throat, but it's not. I used to get so scared all the time, but over the years I have just gotten used to it, and learned to manage it for now, until I find a cure. And I will!

My symptoms are similar to what you have described: no sleep = sore throat, seems to come with no warning, inability to talk comfortably for long periods, uncomfortable sinus and throat area almost constantly, I have sores in sinus area from blowing my nose all the time.

I have never smoked or drunk alcohol or coffee and almost never drink coke. I have also never had sexual realations with anyone, so it's not a form of oral herpes (which can behave in this way in some people).

I have tried the following: Not talking for several days, nasal sprays (salty, steroid, water, etc), a unusual amount of antibiotics (all kinds), not eating meat, not eating chicken and eggs, not eating oily foods and spicy foods, not eating green leafy foods, eating lots of bread, eating lots of cold foods, hot foods, (all variations), I have tried traditional chinese medicine (boiling bugs and bark and mushrooms!!!), drinking a lot of water, dry/wet foods, taking medicine from my chinese friends and not even knowing what it was......all for nothing. I have even taken pictures of my septum to see if was straight...and no blockage.

This is what I found helps me the most: sleeping enough (8+ hours), nasal spray in the morning (cleans everything out, might help with allergic reactions which are often found showing up in the respiratory passageways), driking a lot after talking (calms the stressed throat area), and....not talking.

I used to be a teacher, maybe I have permanently damaged my vocal chords, but I doubt it. I have yet to take some advanced allergy tests.

I will try the sloping bed thing...sounds interesting. I still have my tonsils, they look fine, but it's often hard to tell. I had sinusitis a few times, but I think that it's secondary and not the main problem. Shouting even once will cause my throat to hurt for almos two days, and not necessarily my chords, my whole throat will hurt and feels like strep...but it's not.

know!

Just thought I would let everyone know how bad it is to sleep with lots of pillows. It's not good for your cervical vertebrae (vertebrae in general) to be at this angle. Very bad :(

one word for you folks with constant throat clearing. CAFFEINE. I know it sound crazy but trust me. i have had a sore throat for 4 years, allergys and asthma and nothing i have found under the sun has worked for me. since i have cut out caffeine i have had a 95% decrease in post nasal drip and aleergys and asthma have ALMOST COMPLETLY dissapeared. that is all within 48 hours. Buy a bottle of advil for the headache though. A caffeine allergy or sensitivity is incredible hard to diagnose, usually symptoms are similiar to mental disorders and acid reflux. this really works folks. good luck

Wow, so many people with the same thing, yet no cure.. how fun? not. I have the same thing. I have a sore throat but i belive mine to be from singing, constantly. I have white things on what i believe are my vocal chords... its gross but i can pick them out and its disgusting. I've been to my doctor three times... tested for strep.. came back neg. , tested for mono as well and negative! This is so frustrating! I will definately try the no caffeine thing, hope that works. Ive been drinking water like there is no end. Doesnt seem to be helping. I will also try not to drink so many acidy liquids.

Thanks for the tips.

<3 Lauren

I was wanting to know if your sinus's can give you a soar throat? I had sinus surgery and every since I get headaches all the time, soar throats every couple of weeks (mostly in the afternoon/evenings), and my sinus's drain 24/7. I constantly have drainage in my throat. I also get more headaches. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

i have been suffering from sore throats for 8 months now.
my life is falling apart.
the doctors cant find anything, i did CT scan, MRI..
no other symptoms, just sore throat in the morning and then while speaking

i never knew i could suffer with this for 8 months!!!
doctors are giving up on me since they cant find anything
its hard not to give up :-(
i used to be a fun outgoing happy person and now i am always sad and suffering
i cant do this anymore

I'm having the same problem as well, sore throat, only sore throat for 8 months. No fever at all and minimal flu. Cant believe i can still endure the suffering. I got this sore throat almost every week, it will heal for a few days then come again. I feel very thristy all the time, i think due to the sore throat.

I went to see ENT specialist, Endocrinologist, Gastroenterologists, no one could help me :(

The sore throat worsen especially after food or sleep. Hope someone have a cure here. Else, my life will be falling apart soon.

to add on, inhaling menthol crystal do helps, maybe u guys can try it out, however it's still not a cure.

I am 18 yrs old and since the beginning of this year i have been having reoccurring bacterial tonsillitis usually occurring every 3-4 weeks.

Im a student and it really gets me down, making my performance in school suffer.

I eat a healthy diet and maintain good oral hygiene, and i still manage to get this every month but i have noticed a few things.

I think after the first initial attack, the crypt's on my tonsils (those holes) got stretched from filling with pus. This would allow food debris to get inside and might result in a infection if the bacteria in the mouth starts building on it.
Sounds really disgusting but i think it might be it as doctors have told me it is very possiable.

A second thing i notice was after i STOPPED using nasal decongestant sprays my symptoms were DRAMATICALLY less then when i used it. I think this is due to the post nasal drips it causes at night, since post nasal drip , drips saliva onto and around the tonsils giving the bacteria MORE sources of food. So i have stopped using that. I take very hot shows to help with decongestant. Another negative side of nasal sprays is that fact that our nose will get addicted to it, and if we stop using it our sinus will get worse. So don't rely on it too much.

Another thing that helps is Listerine if you have bacterial tonsillitis (white pus patch on tonsils). The antibacterial properties of the mouthwash kills the bacteria roaming around in your mouth and gargling helps the Listerine reach parts of the tonsils.

I have spoken to my doctor and he was quick to recommend me to the ENT doctor. Because from my understanding the ONLY way to solve reoccurring tonsillitis is really to remove the tonsils (tonsillectomy) in whole. Once you get over 5 confirmed cases of tonsillitis a year im sure the doctors will recommend removing.

Good luck guys and i hope my post help some of you as i am in the same situation : (