Hi, I'm a 21 yr old female and I believe that recently I have developed an allergy to alcohol. It started about 3 months ago when I spent a day feeling terribly unwell after a night out drinking (not a normal hangover). Now this happens every time I drink (even if it's just a glass of wine). Basically, I spend the day with a very soar tummy and a headache and a tingling feeling all over, I'll be feeling dizzy and I find it impossible to concentrate. Also I noticed that I get drunk now very quickly. It's a funny feeling because I've been able to hold my alcohol in previous years and my hangover would pretty much consist of a normal headache which would dissipate by the afternoon. I do in fact suffer from headaches regularly and migraines but I believe that it's mostly due to sinuses. Please help!? Am I just imagining all this!?

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I would suggest trying to dilut the alcohol a little bit. I'm not sure what else you could do. If you are allergic than I guess the best solution is to stop drinking.

I am a 23 year old female and for the past 3 years have experienced the worst handovers in the history of mankind!!
After a bit of my own research I am now going to consult a naturopath so they can conduct and adrenal functioning test and assess my liver. This is sort of a last resort as regular GPs have left me with no answer but to stay away from alcohol.

A typical hang over for me consists of about 10-12 hours of throwing up about every 15 minutes the following day (I never throw up the night I drink) accompanied by a severe migraine. Sometimes I have only had 2 drinks and ended up like that other times I can have 5 drinks and be ok. My mum has taken me to hospital twice but all they did was tell me to try and keep water down and then they tested my blood sugar levels. They probably thought I had been out binge drinking all night.

It wasnt always like this-I used to be able to go out and drink as much as I liked but now a glass of red wine can give me a migraine. Something just changed in my body so if you are suffering the same symptoms I suggest going to see someone who practices natural medicine to get some answers rather than a doctor who just says "dont drink!" I think I have accepted the fact that I will be designated driver for the rest of my life because I never want to spend another minute of my life feeling so sick!!!

monbon wrote:

I too had exactly the same problem, now at 33 I cannot even have one drink without ending up in hospital, had many tests and nothing physically wrong, don't know where to go from here. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Wow I thought I was the only one! I am a 21 year old female, and I am sitting here after one of those days of vomiting every 15 minutes (as usually happens after a night out drinking), and I am trying to figure out what is wrong with me because I am the only person I know that gets hangovers like this! I have considered going to the doctor but assumed that they would say to just stop drinking, as you said. If you get this message, and have had any progress in helping this problem of ours, I would love to hear what you've got! my email is _[removed]_ if you have any information. Until then, I'll be the permanent designated driver like you are! As sorry as I am to hear that someone else goes through this too, because it is absolutely awful, I am relieved to know I am not the only one...

monbon wrote:

Hello! Im Female 27 years.

I have been suffering from exactly the same problem for nearly a year now. Even the most boring and sensible amounts of alcohol (one glass of wine) can now result in the most horrific of hangovers. It tends to be of a gastric than a dehydration thing (bloating, terrible nausea, wretching all day). These symptoms dont happen till the day after but while im drinkign I get sneezing/sore eyes/runny nose. Does anybody else get these?!

Its really depressing! Ive been to the GP several times, but as my liver and kidney function are apparently normal and there is nothing chronically wrong with me - they have got more serious problems to deal with, and they are not interested! I cant udnerstand it either, I usedto be able to handle alcohol just fine. I have accepted the fact that my wild nights are over, but I am desperate to be able to enjoy a sedate glass of wine from time to time or at least to understand why not!!!

I am also going to pursue a natural medicines path and will post back if I find out anything helpful.

GOOD LUCK ALL!

e mail address: _[removed]_.uk

When I read MONBON's response I almost died of happiness that someone else has experienced the exact same thing as me!!! I'm 21 and I've been experiencing this on and off problem for at least 4 years now. I've kept food and drink diaries, researched on the internet (all the evidence I find is occasionally people with SIMILAR problems writing on boards like this with no explanations), and had an upper endoscopy done (all they found was some acid reflux) and every doctor just tells me to "not drink." A typical hangover for me, like MONBON said, involves throwing up bile ALL day long, an extreme migraine, weakness, and such terrible discomfort that i lay there immobile for up to 24 hours. It is so much more agony then I can possibly describe as exaggerated as that sounds.

However, I continue to drink because I'm 21 and there seems to be no rhyme or reason with it. There have been times and time periods where I've drank EXCESSIVELY and barely had a hangover at all, and there are times where I've consumed as little as a few glasses of wine and had this terrible day-long hangover. It's happened with beer, wine, hard alcohol, and every combination of the 3. I've also had normal hangovers or no hangovers with beer, wine, hard alcohol, and every combination of the 3. It is frustrating to not know what's wrong. I plan on drinking at my wedding one day, and its hard to not be able to socialize normally without knowing whether or not you're going to be deathly ill the next day.

I don't know what doctors to see anymore, I wish I could find some kind of specialist who knows what alcohol can do to the body so I can figure out what is wrong with me that this only happens 2/3s of the time. I don't think it's an allergy because i NEVER have any adverse symptoms while drinking. Nothing happens until the next day, sometimes not until the afternoon.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated, feel free to e-mail me directly.

I'm a 57 year old healthy (just passed physical with flying colors) male, on no medications. About 15 years ago, I noticed that I had to start cutting back on the number of alcoholic drinks I had at the end of the day. I used to be able to drink a six-pack with no hangover. Now, even one beer will give me a headache. Any explanations for this?

I'm a 27 year old female and have the same issue. I've tried everything and now I'm so frustrated! I'm not interested in drinking all the time, but the occasional cutting loose or special occasions almost depress me. I want to have a great time just like the next person, but I'm so afraid of the pain and suffering the next day brings. Just like some of you the sickness is unpredictable. Two glasses of wine with dinner is far from deserving of the worst hangover imaginable. For those few times I don't get sick seems unworthy of the risk. And I can't seem to pin-point why I didn't get sick that time. It's horrible not having answers for something that makes you miserable- especially when it was not always this way.

24-year-old female. Have been experiencing the same thing for two - three years.

Have any of you noticed that you experience these random, really bad hangovers when you are menstruating? The thought just crossed my mind yesterday during a 14 hour period of not being able to keep anything down, even water., and puking every 15 minutes for the whole day. I have never kept track before, but now that I'm thinking about it, I do think it happens when I'm on my period. It definitely doesn't happen all the time, like most of you said, and it seems to happen when I drink less than sometimes when I don't have a hangover.

I'm going to start keeping track.. and not drinking while I am on my period, just incase (because you all know drinking for one night is NOT worth that sickness the whole next day). Is it possible that something your body uses to clean up your system after drinking is exhausted during your period?

I have exactly the same problem. I think it might be my birth control - is anyone here using Tri-Sprintec or a similar perscription?

I am a 26 year old female and I too have been suffering from these terrible hangovers for the past few years! The exact symptoms...never sick until the next day, last the entire day, throwing up bile every 15 to 30 minutes, sometimes I can have several drinks and miraculously feel normal(just a regular hangover) and other times I can have 2 beers and be miserable all day. I am taking TriNessa birth control and have been for the past few years. TriNessa and TriSprintec are both generic names for ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN.

I've posted on here before this past summer, and luckily I did have a somewhat-normal Fall semester with just pretty normal hangovers (tired, headache) but my unpredictable problem has come back, worse than ever before! It definitely makes me feel reassured that more people experience this. Right now I am sitting here, a senior in college on a Tuesday night watching all my friends make plans to go out drinking and I have to sit back and watch. The past 3 weekends I drank I got sick (I call them "my episodes") and each time felt like worse than the last. The first weekend was over vodka, the second time over red wine and this most recent weekend: SIX beers prolonged over 6 hours! Ridiculous. It's just so depressing to not have an answer-especially when all I want to do is socialize a little, I'm looking to pound back 10 shots. If anyone discovers anything from a doctor, please let us know!

Also, I have considered the birth control and period possibilities. I've switched birth control this summer and just now I'm going off completely to give THAT a shot. And since I usually get sick across the span of several months, I don't think it's the period. The closest explanation I found was that when you have any kind of medication in your body and your liver has to deal with alcohol coming in, the medication is "put on hold" and the longer it sits in your body it becomes toxic... I don't know how relevant that could be, because its happened to me both on my Prevacid for example, and not on it, but that really is how one of these episodes feels - like my body is reacting to poison. I almost can feel the sickness running through my veins, it's so much more to explain than just a headache and upset stomach.

I am 34 yr old male whose sitting here 24 hrs after drinking 3 beers trying to hold down a couple a crackers and water I started having the same symptoms as others here somewhere around the age of 25. I am usually ok after 1 or 2 beers. I often have a headache and feel a bit coudy the next day after only 1 or 2. When I do get sick like I did today, I am always fine during the night when I drink. It is always after I wake up the next morning that I suffer with wretching up bile every half hour to every two hours. I can't hold anything down. I suffer from horrible headaches, bad enough that I cannot even open my eyes to watch tv while I lay in bed in angony. It just isn't right that I can't enjoy 1 or 3 beers without fear of a 24 hour long miserable hangover.
I am gald to hear that I am not some anomaly and that others have experriences that exact same thing. My sympathies to all those who have experienced this. Best of luck...I off to slowly eat a couple my crackers and sip on water.