Hello, I just had my gallbladder removed 2 days ago. They found 15-20 small gallstones. Since the removal, I have been experiencing a loss of appetite and bloating. I have only been eating porridge and after a few bites I feel really full. I also have not passed any gas or had any bowel movement. I feel the need to use the restroom but everytime i get to the potty, my body wont let me do anything.

The doctors prescribed me protonix for my stomach and hydrocodone for pain.

Are these symptoms normal? And are the meds that the doctor prescribed me correct? I do not like feeling like this at all. I feel so useless at home. I just want to get better soon and live my life.

It’s absolutely normal and expected to feel like this only two days after serious surgery. After all, they removed an organ. Protonix is there to help restore your appetite and fight things like bloating or heartburn by regenerating your stomach lining. But it takes time for it to have effect and Protonix might be one of the causes for constipation, I think it’s one of its side effects. Your wound will hurt so you definitely will need Hydrocodone. But it gets better with literally each day – Ive had a stomach surgery two months ago and I’m living now just as I did before, well besides all the food I can eat, but other than that it all came back to where it was. You’ll see, just hold on for now.

Thank you for the reply. Yesterday I started to feel lower back pain. It felt really sore. Today the lower back sore is a little gone but now my front abs are really sore and the spot where the gallbladder used to be feels really sore too. Is this normal? Is it because I have been alternating the use of my muscles to get around? The first 3 days I relied on only my back muscles to get up and walk around. Yesterday I had to start using my stomach muscles again cus my back muscles were too weak. I am so confused >.<

I am also experiencing lots of hunger! I eat like literally every 2 hours. Really really hungry. I eat wet rice for breakfast lunch and dinner. Every other 2hours I eat jello. Why am i so hungry? Is it the protonix? And I have not had to use the hydrocone for pain. I have not experienced any pain, just sore.

I know that “type” of standing up, I had no other option for probably half a month because I was scared for the incision that is still sometimes very painful. Probably because it’s so large. I don’t know which method did they use with you, but if they removed it laproscopically few days after is common to have some weird pain in muscles or bones. That I found a lot later, after I was worried about why my shoulders hurt, similar to your lower back. And hunger, well. It’s not really like you’re eating something fatty and extremely nutritious. Your body is recovering and starting to feel better, it just needs more food now. Don’t think Protonix alone is responsible.

okay. so i tried eating my first solid food today.. : Sweet Potato. It was boiled. I had two small ones. After an hour I had diarrhea.. it wasnt bad diarrhea.. but it smelled.. Why did this happen? I really love sweet potatoes too.. >.<

and by normal i mean.. normal color. not green or anything else i have read around here..

It seems normal to me – last few days you couldn’t eat a lot and especially you couldn’t eat heavy foods so there wasn’t much waste anyway. Diarrhea had nothing to do with sweet potatoes except for the fact that once you had them your intestines started to work more than they had to while you were eating jello. So, you won’t have to give up on sweet potatoes, at least. It’s perfectly normal for your body to act a little bit differently now, it will all come back to normal. As long as there are no unusual, severe pain or things like vomiting everything is going as it is supposed to.

okay thanks for all of the info! Today I am going to have a post check up with my family doctor. I put on my clothes to go out for the first time in a week.. and OMG. I am so skinny! I dropped 10 lbs. This isn't good at all. I was already a pretty thin guy in the first place, now I am a twig. :-( Is there something I can eat to get bigger faster?

I had around 130 pounds before surgery and all problems and now I’m at 110 pounds at best days. Think if I get any thinner wind would be able to blow me. How is your appetite? I kind of lost mine completely and when you combine that with all the things I can’t eat anymore…But if you have appetite than you should use the best of this situation and eat almost as much as you want of foods that you can eat and pay attention to include some of those foods which are known for their weight gaining properties like potato, pasta and such. Just be careful not to stop eating all the things that you must to keep your health. Weight will return, maybe not so quickly, but it will.

I have only been on jello, wet rice, and flan.
I had some chicken yesterday and was fine.
I had pork this morning and it upset my stomach around 30minutes after. Then I had to use the restroom. It came out as a solid though. Really soft solid stool.. >.<