I am about to have a laparoscopic cholecystectomy to remove my gallbladder next week. Honestly, I can’t wait as the pain was so annoying! I am on a low fat diet now but I would like to know if I will need to stay on a special diet after having my gallbladder removed.

It was thought before that patients following a gallbladder removal should remain on a low fat diet. Today, this is no case and many doctors don’t recommend avoiding fatty foods after the surgery. People can live normally without a gallbladder and liver will still make the bile needed to digest fats. It is just that the bile will flow directly into the small intestine instead of being stored in the gallbladder.

Many people do find that fatty, processed, sugary foods cause them problems after gallbladder removal surgery. Diarrhea is a big issue that many people encounter. Not everyone is the same, but I would indeed read up about an ideal gallbladder removal diet, of course in the weeks right after surgery but also in the long run. 

Fresh fruits and veggies not only form the foundation of a healthy diet, and give you lots of nutrients, they also have the fiber that will help you prevent episodes of diarrhea. So, don't go easy on the avocado, cucumber, berries, apples, etc, but eat as much as you like! Lean meats and fish are good for you. Milk might give you issues, but yogurt and cottage cheese probably won't. 

Good luck with your surgery!!!

lloyd wrote:

Had laprascopic surgury 15 years ago at age 31 after birth of 2nd child to remove gallbladder, surgury, recovery went well. Able to eat as I did before gallbladder disease, took a while to be able to eat what use to cause me pain, however that was just phychological, no particular food causes me pain anymore. However as many others I have read about I am now having sudden diarea that is becoming more frequent after meals or physical activity. I also had another child 10 years after 2nd and after 40. Age plus the fact that food is processed so quickly I really have to make sure after meals that I know where to find a bathroom, this is very hard when out to lunch and going shopping. I am not one to use over the counter drugs or other drugs unless I have to, I am looking for alternate ways to aleiviate this problem.

lula wrote:

Guest wrote:

lula wrote:

I eat anything. I had my surgery 20 years ago but.....I also find that I have bouts of diahrea which probably is caused by some food.
Oh well. I'm not willing to give up my fave foods so I guess I will live with it.

I was told to eat Papaya pills with my meals after my gall bladder was removed. It made all the difference in the world. Now I can eat even extremely fatty foods like french fries and rib eye steaks. And I can eat spicey foods like green chili. If I anticipate a problem with those types of foods I take between one and three pills towards the beginning of the meal. Be careful to not take too many - you end up constipated. In time you learn how much your body needs. Those days of running to the bathroom after a meal are over for me.

I am so gald to hear that others are also suffering from some issues since the removal of the galbladder.....I need to know what to do to treat the diarrhea....is there anything to take before a meal? My doctor keeps telling me that really no foods should causing any problems.....I don;t beleive that.

I had my gall bladder removed in 2004. A must-have is Natren's Healthy Trinity to promote digestion of anything & everything I eat or drink. All the foods that triggered gallbladder attacks before -- I can eat them. Cheeseburger & fries -- I can eat them. Soda pop -- no problem! In fact, I've had no problems at all since I started taking the magic pills!! I have normal bowel movements now (meaning every day). I used to think that normal meant a few times a week. Ha!

I'm a 44 yr old female. I had my gallbladder removed over 16 yrs ago. Strangely, I've never had the diahrea problem. In fact, I have chronic constipation. hmmm. I've been wondering if there's a food factor because I seem to have a problem with painful gas (& loud gurgling!) and that's how I found this message board.

i need to know what food to avoid is it sat fat or trans fat or both or anything else please help me

**edited by moderator**

Pandama 1956 wrote:

what magic pill?

Peanutrad wrote:

Had my gallbladder removed about 2yrs ago, I had problems with both constipation and diahria. My doctor put me on "pangesteyme" its a pancreatic enszyme pill to help digest fatty foods. Since taking these after fatty meals, I dont have problems with my BM anymore. Check with your doctor about that.

Peanut, I had that gas loud gurgling prob too but I had it before my gallbladder problem and it continued after the removal. However, I was put on prevacid and that stopped that. It maybe Gastritis you have, I was told I have acid reflux disease with gastritis.

everyone is scaring me. i will be having my gall bladder out next week. now iam reading all of these scary things about diarreha and all of the other scary symptoms. i want it out because of the pain. but,i dont want to be worse in other ireas. HELP, 8-| ANY ONE HAVE GOOD LUCK

To 44 year old female - are you a gastric bypass patient???? I am same age and minus gallbladder and a bypass patient and have the gurgling deal too! Recently more gassy too, but told its from sugar! Hmmmm?