Hi, I had pain, jaundice and fever, so I went to a doctor. It turned out that I have to remove my gallbladder. I am not so concerned about the operation. What scares me most is what will happen after. I heard that many people got IBS after their gallbladder removal. Has this happened to anyone here?

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed a year ago. I was diagnosed the same way as you-pain, jaundice, fever. A doctor explained me that I had the little stones inside my gallbladder, and that’s why it had to be removed. These stones are called gallstones, and they are blocking the flow of bile out of the gallbladder. I had IBS after the surgery, but it didn’t last long. I had wind and diarrhea, so as pain and swelling in abdominal area. IBS is a common condition after removing gallbladder, and it’s called "postcholecystectomy syndrome". Don’t be scared of IBS, because it doesn’t mean that you will have it. But if you do anyway, with the right treatment, you have nothing to worry about.

I do agree don't worry about IBS. You may not end up with it. But I did. It is common, my mom, my sister, and I all had to have our Gallbladders out and all 3 of us ended up with it. The only suggestion that I have, is listen to your body. If the food that you used to eat, is now irritating you don't eat it or limit what you eat. You have to change your diet to help control the IBS.

I had my GB out 16 years ago and have suffered IBS for many years, I found that taking acidophylus (natural bacteria like the one in the Activia yogurt) and changed my milk to Rice Milk has helped me A LOT !! I had stopped eating many foods and thank heaven for my Dr. who recomended these changes, I'm eating many things I couldn't before. But in general somethine to avoid the most is the skin in meats and fish, fried foods and acid tomato sauces; I leave these for a once a week ocassion... Good Luck!!

Guest wrote:

I totally agree with what you are talking about because a good friend of mine had her gallbladder out and she noticed that eating that yogurt has helped her out immensely as well. I don't know exactly what it is but I know it works wonders. How long did you really suffer with this before you actually figured out that you could eat Activia and have better digestive health? Did it start right away or did you have to wait almost the full two weeks?

vally wrote:

yea im afraid it does effect most people who have the gb removed but to be honest it can be controled with the help of your gp having your gb removed may be the best thing you do if your experiencing the pain i did then you will be glad to get rid