Ornish Diet is for people with known heart disease who want to reverse its effects. I have problem so I want to lower heart attack risk. The Prevention Diet is recommended for people who do not have heart disease, but whose cholesterol levels are above 150, which is case with me. I want to know the way this diet helps to people that really need it. I will try with Ornish Diet but I feel uncomfortable starting something I don’t understand so I need info about it.

Both and Reversal and Prevention Ornish Diets are vegetarian diets. The Ornish Diet supplies only 10% of calories from fat. It excludes cholesterol and saturated fat, including all animal products. You can use egg whites and nonfat dairy products, nuts, seeds, avocados, chocolate, olives, and coconuts. Oils are eliminated except a small amount of canola oil for cooking, and oil that supplies omega 3 essential fatty acids. The Ornish diet also prohibits caffeine, but allows a moderate intake of sugar, alcohol, and salt. There is no restriction on the calorie intake so long as the diet is confined within the food that is recommended. The Ornish diet, when used in a holistic treatment program, has been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels and reverse atherosclerosis. That is obstruction of the arteries, making it a dietary therapy for heart disease, strokes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. The Ornish diet has also been shown to be an effective weight loss program. It is recommended as a preventive measure for heart disease, strokes, diabetes and other conditions related to high fat consumption. The Ornish diet is an easy and inexpensive form of treatment as well as preventive measure.