Hey everyone,

I'm afraid that my doctor told me that I have a condition with this awfully sounding name: Atherosclerosis. We spoke over the phone, he did some analyses before and just today he told me that is the condition which I have.

He told me that this can be a really dangerous condition, I didn't like this information even a bit. He also told me that I need to go and see him so he can tell me what to do. Can you tell me, in the meantime, what can I do? How can one get rid of these atherosclerotic plaque?

Hi Health n Joy,

Yes, it can be dangerous if not treated correctly or if not treated on time. Treatment options include different medications, medical procedures or surgery and heart-healthy lifestyle changes.

Doctors basically suggest people to try with heart-healthy lifestyle changes combined with some medications. If this doesn't work, they recommend surgery. These lifestyle changes include eating healthy, maintaining a healthy weight, managing stress, physical activity and quitting smoking. 

Basically, the most common medicines that are prescribed for this matter are statin medicines. However, keep in mind that if you get to use these medications, you should definitely avoid skipping any doses, be sure to take them on time.

Hey guys,

Alan is right, if you don't have a severe atherosclerosis, these lifestyle changes should do the trick even without you having to take any additional medications. If they are not enough, then their combination with medications should do the trick. I'm almost 100% sure that you don't have a severe atherosclerosis, otherwise you would know it already.

For people who have severe atherosclerosis, surgery is almost a must do thing. They have three options, three different surgery types: percutaneous  coronary intervention, coronary artery bypass grafting and carotid endarterectomy. I'm hoping that you won't have to learn about any of these surgeries.

Hello again,

I also agree with you Stradivarius, I don't think that you have a severe atherosclerosis either, Health n Joy. You should probably talk to your doctor about the way in which you should treat this. He won't tell you anything different than what we just told you here, but he is going to give you some precise instructions which you will need to follow.

These instructions will include what to eat, this is a very important part and you will need to follow this diet. If you don't, then you aren't making any progress in treating your condition. Pay attention to what the doctor is telling you.

Hello everyone there.

It can be very dangerous and this is something that you should not play with. I have heard that this can be very serious especially because sometimes surgery is needed. I am positive sure that once my friend was talking about this and that she told me that her boyfriend had problems with it. That is why he needed to have the surgery and something got really wrong. I don’t remember how many months he needed to recover but I know that it was pretty much serious. The most important thing is to not let it untreated.

Good day everyone. I can see that people wrote already how to get rid of it, so I will tell you how to prevent this to happen to you again. Cholesterol plaques are very progressive and that means they get worse with time. Especially if you don’t treat them or if you don’t want to prevent them, because they are also preventable. There are some factors that can be a part of it: smoking, very high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, if you are not eating many fruits and vegetables, not getting regular physical activity. Once you start to live normal, healthy life and once you learn what is the best for you, I am sure that you won’t have any problems.

Hello there.

It is very simple. First, you need to change your lifestyle program and plan. That is the number one and it is the main thing in the treatment when you want to get rid of atherosclerotic plaque. But sometimes, you can’t get rid of it naturally so you need to use some other treatment options such as medications or even the surgery. The goals of treatment usually include:

• Lowering the risk of blood clots forming
  • preventing atherosclerosis-related diseases,
  • reducing risk factors in an effort to slow or stop the buildup of plaque,
  • relieving symptoms,
  • widening or bypassing plaque-clogged arteries.

Hello there.

I didn't know that I know someone who had problems with it but I just remember that I have one friend and she told me what she needed to do about this issue. She told me exactly when you have told us in here - it is very important to change lifestyle program and to start eat healthy foods and groceries. That is probably the best thing. Another thing that it is helpful are definitely a medications that doctor can prescribe you in the case if that lifestyle changes are not enough. I believe that you can get rid of it when you combine healthy foods and medications.