I had both my hips replaced and the latest one two years ago, I now have groin pain getting in my van or into bed, doing steps, it's only if I lift my leg or take long strides. I have received two shots of cortisone in the groin area but the pain persists. My surgeon said my muscle is catching on the new cap causing tendonitis and I may require surgery to cut the tedon away, did anybody ever hear of this before?

I am 2 years out from total hip and have the exact problem.  I have had TONS of test and doctors do not know what it is.  Did you have the surgery done? Did it help?

HI Amy, I had 2 surgiers one was done a year ago in February, had a growth on my right femur that destroyed my cartilidge, after that surgery and revovery I was told I needed a hip resurfacing which was scheduled in November of 2011.. DId everything I was suppose to do, therapy when told, everything, since then I am not able to lift my leg while sitting, nor able to lift my leg to ceiling while laying flat on my back. I have severe pain in my groin area, when walking its painful, when sitting it can be painful. I seem to sit alot cause I can not carry anything, without the help of people...family which drives me crazy, I was always very independant. I also do home health care work and have not been able to return back to work. I can not kneel, bend, squat, climb stairs or down stairs...The best for me is when I first wake up, pain is very miminal, but after an hour or so, right back to pain everytime I lift the leg, or move the wrong way. I now walk with a cane...what did you learn from your surgery. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am only 49...not that your age doesnt matter either. thanks Mary

I am experiencing the same problem 2 1/2 yrs after full right replacement ,i had blood work,aspiration and mri done.all they found was burcitus on the outside of my hip and am going for a cortizone shot. But my pain is not on the outside it's in the grion i don't think it's going to work !!!!

I have had both my hips replaced, the first in December, 2010, the second in November 2011. About a month ago I began having left groin pain. I recently went to my GYN after a bit of research thnking it might be a hernia. Went for a CT scan and it shows possibly a screw protruding into a muscle which may be taking on fluid, or a possible abcess. I have an appointment with orthopaedic surgeon so maybe I will have an answer that may be helpful after that visit.

Judy 59 4 years ago I had my right hip done I need my hand to lift my leg, puting my pants on is so hard and taking them of.I had the injections to they did not work I really dont want enother operation as when I had my hip done all at the back of my hair fell out, Im to scared

I had my left hip done 2 years ago and have the same problem. My surgeon said there is nothing he can do. I had cortisone but hasn't had any effect. I am currently doing hydro which is helping to strengthen muscles but the restriction is still there.

I am 58 years old, totla hip replacement 2 years ago. Onemonth ago a I began experiencing pain in my groin as I took the stairs (up only), got into or out of the car and bed. Surgeon said tendonitis. Long story short, the physical therapist hss assigned strengthening exercises AND does deep tissue massage on the tendon...two weeks in and I have less pain! Give these a try. The massage is painful at first but the more she works on it the lessesr the pain is! Good luck.

I just read your post. I also had a tendon release two years post HR. Still having groin and thigh pain when walking, in and out of car, stirring. Leg is tight, spasmstic and cold foot and redness. Still pursuing the possible cause. Have gone through physical therapy, X-rays, MRI, CT scan. No definitive answers.

Try a good physical therapist and acupuncture. There is a way to release the muscles and tendons from the problem area, and it worked for me. I had a THR 2 years ago today, and walked with a cane before the replacement. My chiropractor works wonders with stim and massage and manipulation.

Hello. I had double hip replacement on my left hip 7 years ago and as I got older the groin pain has got worse, the doctor kept telling me it was soft tissue damage and proscribed pain killers. Through hindsight my advice is do not get sidetracked but keep complaining till it is cured.

Hi Judy and all viewing this sight
I have had a hip replacement and I am now training people's who have had the same operation Not everyone is the same but find a trainer who will help you train the small muscles around your hip joint Do small exercises around your knees as well as they are compensating for your hip discomfort

I just got back from a doctors appointment with the same symptoms. He suggested stretching exercises like lunges and laying on the bed and dropping the leg that has pain off the bed to stretch it out. You'll feel it right where the pain is. Take ibuprofen for two weeks continue stretching exercises.

Hi Kathy,
I’ve had the same problem since my hip replacements but only on my right side. Exact symptoms you are feeling. After 18 months from my THR, 2 days ago I had surgery “release of Illiopsoas’ tendon Arthroscopy key hole surgery. Surgeon said it will take 6-12months for my muscle to strengthen and it should take away the pain. Hope this helps.

Hi my name carol am 10 months post op getting pain in my groin
When I sit or put my knees up Physio just give me exercise and walk more he said could it be tendinitis how are you ?