How do you rate their marriage survival chances? After Tof lost weight and got fit there was a period of about a year when I continued on in my sedentary ways. Had I not chosen to jump on the health bandwagon I wonder if it would have caused tension between us? Thoughts? It's a lifestyle after all, and if two people are living different lifestyles it may be hard for them to live together.
That said, Tof and I don't do anything fitness-wise together. We snowshoe and play tennis and stuff but he goes to the gym with his brother or alone and plays team sports. I am not a team player :thumbsdown:

Of course, marital bliss is going to hinge on individual needs/conditions. But I'd say, in general, in a healthy marriage there needs to be some time for individual pursuits. For me, running/training, is an individual endeavor taking an hour average of my day. And on the flipside, my wife has hobbies she does on her own. We're absolutely compatible people, but because we spend some time apart by no means spells disaster.

I don't think it matters unless it becomes and obsession. Then it is not about fitness it is about caring more about a hobby then the spouse. I had a friend who got divorced because her husband went sailing everyweekend, even on her birthday. :umno:

It was a stumbling block in my marriage. The X considered 1.25 hrs a day during the week to be obsessive and 5 or 6 races a year to be a waste of time and money. She had no interest in any type of fitness routine at all.

I think I'd find it difficult if my partner wasn't comfortable with my sport, rather than whether they participated themselves or not. Of course the upside of having only one person competing is that there is someone else to be there in support, drive the car, carry the bags etc :D .

well, my wife is healthy.

she walks, and does Pilates (when not preggo) and sometimes she even runs.

She supports my running, but...does get resentful when I have a race or something when there is a family thing on "her" side. Like her nephew's birthday or something.

Otherwise, she's been pretty cool with the whole thing. She wants me to run marathons, too. Just not for the next year or two. Too many little kids. She supports me running half marathons, though. The training doesn't take as long, and there are alot of those that are within a decent distance from us.

Ever since I started exercising regularly, my wife has complained about it. I even have access to a FREE gym courtesy of the National Guard yet she complained about the extra gas it was costing.

I finally stopped discussing it with her. After about the third of fourth time I completely ignored the comments, she gave it up.

For the record, my wife does not do any exercise I know of.

I think it's not so muxh sedentary vs. non-sedentary, but just having your own outside interests. My SO CAN'T do a lot of stuff that I can due to some really severely arthritic hips, but he still golfs/fishes and is at least making a stab at water aerobics we can do together. When he goes fishing, I rollerblade or walk the dog or bike.

Long story short, I don't know if it's so much about exercise as opposed to having your own separate hobbies and time away.

You know, people will grow and change in the years they are married, so if your spouse is upset and not letting you pursue who you want to be then there's something more that's going on...warning bells should be going off. I would hope your s/o would be supportive and encouraging of who you want to be.

I reckon opposites attract.
Mrs.P and I have been married for 32 years, she is not particulary intrested in athletics but has always supported me even when our kids were small and I was off all over the place racing.
Conversly, a man can only take so much Ballroom dancing but it is what she loves and I make the effort to go to as many of her competitions as possible. The thing is, its a balance like everything else in life.

She knew how much running meant to me before we were even engaged. She may not be active herself, but she realizes how much I need to run once in a while.
She even remarks periodically, are you running or why haven't you run in a while.