I run for the competitive aspect of it. I enjoy beating my previous times (when I can).

You?

I set goals to improve myself in most areas of my life. So training for a goal is what I do. Whether it was a longer distance or setting a PR.

I use the races as motivators to keep me running. Then on race day I try and beat my previous time for that race and or course.

Both. But the only person I'm competing with is myself.

I hover between the two.

I started off for just the fitness aspect (last year) But I am also a very competitive person by nature and couldn't help myself but be competitive with myself and the people around me.

As odd as it may seem, I don't run for either. I run usually for a goal - like picking a particular race and working up to it. The fitness part is the added bonus! I guess I tend to compete against myself (pr's etc), but it's really a non-issue.

I run to crush the dreams of others. So I guess you could say competition.

I <used to> run for mental as well as physical well being. The only competition that ever occurred was personal bests. Thassit.

I run for fitness.

I enjoy having the knowledge that at any point in time, I can take off and run 2-3 miles. Great ability to have just in case you are out someplace without a vehicle.

I race against my times, but I guess I do it because the time is a great way to measure fitness.

I too run for fitness. It is by far the best cardio for your buck IMHO. I do compete with myself, PR's are always nice. 8) Also just because I can. I was severely asthmatic as a child/young adult and running is a huge personal accomplisment for me.

I'm hardly competitive these days and sometimes I feel like its the tail wagging the dog, but as they say "your only as good as your last race".

I run for a number of reasons.
1. Fighting father time & losing, so I'm trying to keep him at bay.
2. Family history of diabetes, hypertension & stroke, so I'm trying to add chlorine to the family gene pool.
3. To relieve the tension of the work day. The solitude allows me to unwind.
4. I enjoy it.

I also run for the physical and mental well being. I do run in races, but the only competitive side of me is in my head when I try to keep pushing myself. I say - "catch that girl in the green shirt. Great, now catch that guy in the red shorts. Ok, now the old lady......"

Running is such a huge stress reliever for me too.

I run because I was told I never could.