It seems as though the majority of us are married, or the governmentally-recognized equivalent. Is anyone here divorced? I know there's a few singles, but it strikes me that with a 40% or 50% divorce rate in these modern times that we are way above that average in terms of couples staying married. For the record, I am previously divorced. Married waaayyyy too young and for all the wrong reasons.

I do not think running is the variable here. I think a good majority of the marrieds have been married for a few years and the longer people are married, the more likely they will stay married. I believe the average age around here is in the 30's so not a bunch of young married's around here (except our modulator) he is just a youngin in this marriage thing

don't think the running thing is the key. we've been married 17 years, but I'm not sure how long it's going to last. some days I expect to find my stuff on the porch :(

as far as the youngin's go, arent' randy and tracey fairly new to marriage? they got that 1 year old baby! (as of tomorrow)

Will be 10 years for us in October. We were younger when we got married (25 for me, 22 for her). Things are going well for us. :thumbsup:

I'm gonna say no on this one. My "addiction" to running, or so it's called is the source of most of our arguments. :?

:1: except add cycling/lifting/and swimming when the pool is open

I am also divorced (again married way too young and for wrong reasons) but in a very happy relationship now. While my SO does not run, he encourages me and keeps saying he is going to start doing something (whatever that means).

For the record, I did used to run to get rid of the stress of my previous marriage. Which also did not help it. I think it depends upon the people.

i know that running makes for a happier rollingrock and therefore makes for a happier mr. rollingrock. he keeps threatening to buy me a "gazelle" so i can get my endorphic high that way

he has always been very supportive of my running but i'm not sure it has been the key to our (nearly) 22 years together.

i was 12 when we married

I didn't know mr. rock was related to Mr. Jerry Lee Lewis! Great Balls of Fire! :flames:

I think what can be said of runners is running tends to attract people who aren't quitters and are very driven. So, the attributes that keep them striving carry over into other aspects of their lives that matter to them. So, I don't think they give up on marriage as easily as some might.

Just a theory....

edited to add that I got married to Mr. Airehead when I was 19 and he was 21. Still together...

I've seen both sides and it's about 50-50 with the runners/triathletes I know. You guys are the positive side, for the most part, but I know an equal # of unhappy runners whose spouses are very non-supportive of their sport(s) and it causes constant issues. I don't think you can judge on just that though....a lot of dynamics play into the successful marriage and I don't think this is a criteria like, say, salespeople who travel frequently and have higher divorce rates, that you can base stats on. Would said unhappy people have issues whether one of them ran or not? Maybe.....

I too made a mistake way early in life although I've blocked it since then...but I know for a fact that running is part of who I am and if someone didn't accept that, then I wouldn't marry them.

If sticking asparagus sprouts in your ears and singing showtunes was part of who you are, they should still accept it if they want to be with you.
:fubby:
I'm all about appreciating people for who they are and not who they "should be".
And as for the original question, yes, there are people here who are divorced or have been divorced. They are not as visible because they tend to not be as vocal about it, understandably.
Even if the individuals are ecstatic about the situation, society doesn't congratulate people for that sort of thing.

heehee... :fubby:
I just got the fubbiest visual...I am sure it's got nothing to do with the fact I've been working all night...
Seriously, I like your attitude!

My "addiction" to running is one big factor that is costing me a 20 yr marriage. Currently separated, working towards divorce. It sucks but it needs to happen.

I've been known to sing show tunes when I commute.
Oh what a beautiful morning. Oh what a beautiful day!