Hello everyone,

My little (maybe not so little) cousin got a task in his medical school to write an essay about how common is Buerger's Disease among adults. I'm not familiar with this disease so I was hoping that you guys might know something about this, and that you might know about some researches that were done in the past, like this one that is his topic for his essay.

I'd appreciate any info about Buerger's Disease, but I'd really like if the focus was on how common is Buerger's Disease among adults. Looking forward to reading your answers, thanks in advance.

Hey Health n Joy,

Buerger's Disease (or thromboangiitis obliterans) is a recurring progressive inflammation and thrombosis of small and medium arteries and veins of the hands and feet. It is strongly associated with use of tobacco products, primarily from smoking, but is also associated with smokeless tobacco.

It is quite common among people who are between 20 and 40 years old, and it is more common in women than it is in men. It is quite a dangerous disease, not fatal immediately but as the time goes, it can lead to death. Its progress can only be slowed if a person stops using tobacco products.

Hi Health n Joy,

It is a very common disease because a lot of people are smoking nowadays, and they start smoking from very early age. Actually, Adria, I believe that this is more common in men than in women, but men tend to handle it better than women do. This disease is more common in Japan, India and Manipur along the "old silk route" than in the United States and Europe. It is most common among South Asians. 

The treatment usually means amputation of the involved extremity, so it is a disease which needs to be taken seriously. Not smoking is the best possible prevention.

Good day friends.

Here is what I know about this. Thromboangiitis obliterans is also known as Buerger’s disease. It is a recurring progressive inflammation and clotting of very small and medium arteries and veins of your feet and your legs.

Buerger’s disease is more common among men than women and it is very common in adults. But it is more common in for example Japan, India and some other states than in Western Europe or United States.

You should also know that this disease is strongly associated with use of tobacco products so cut smoking.

Good luck. 

Good day everyone.

Well, it is more common in adults than in younger people. My uncle had this disease. First, when doctor told him diagnose we were really surprised by the name of the disease because no one from us have ever heard about this disease before.

Than doctor told us about this disease and I remember that his first question to my uncle was – do you smoke? And yes my uncle was smoking a lot before this diagnose. He stopped as soon as doctor told him that he needs to quit smoking. It is all about will.

Have a nice day.

Hey there. Definitely. The Buerger’s disease is more common among adults and it affects more men than women. I know that some researches showed that 8 to 12 people per 100000 adults in the United States suffer from this disease, which is not that lot because there are much more patients in other continents.  

I could swear that this disease is some new disease but it is not at all. I was reading a little bit about this and I found out that it is not a new disease.

You can recognize this disease because of its symptoms and they are: pale or red feet, cold hands or feet, pain in hands, pain in legs, changes in skin and painful sores.

Hey there. It is actually very common. I, like many others, didn’t know what this disease is until my neighbor told me that he was diagnosed with buerger’s disease. Of course, I didn’t know nothing about this so I asked him to explain to me the basics. He told me exactly the same thing like you already wrote in here, so I won’t repeat. But I can guarantee that it is very common especially older men. I am not so sure what the proper treatment for this diagnose is. But I am sure that this will be explained by your doctor.