Hey there. So, my little cat is accepting me really good so far. I think that she is really healthy, she eats well and I am really happy because of this. But, since she was in shelter, I am a little bit worried about her. She was sneezing today a couple of times, maybe that was some reaction, I don’t know, but understand me. I was reading a lot about anal gland diseases, I know a couple of cases, but I was wondering can you tell me how common is anal gland disease in cats?  I want to know as much as I can…

It is very, very common. Ugh, it is a nigh mare for me, I just hate when this happen to my cat. I don’t think that she is unhealthy just because she was in the shelter. I think that she is really healthy, because in shelters people really do care about dogs and cats. So, cats have two anal sacs on side of their anus. These sacs have multiple oil glands that empty into them continuously. You can notice if your cat have some problems with it. Anal gland disease is the most common disease of the anal region in cats. 

It is pretty common. Sometimes cats have loose stools, and for the anal glands to empty, the cat’s stool needs to be a bit harder, not soft. That way the glands will empty while your cat defecates.

If that doesn’t happen and the anal glands stay full for a long period of time, they will began to hurt and you’ll see your cat constantly licking or even biting her under tail area.

I had seven cats in my entire life and believe it or not, 4 of them had problems with anal glands. Some of them had minor problems, and my oldest cat had a ruptured anal gland so the vet had to remove it.

It really is that common? I had no idea. My mother’s had five cats and not one of them had problems with anal glands. Not even once.

I mean, yes, cats do lick their under tail area from time to time and that is a typical sign of anal gland problems, but I don’t think that it is always a sign of that. It could be some other completely harmless thing (itchiness for example or something like that).

I know many people whose cats had anal gland problems, so I guess it is common. I just though it’s not that common.

Well, it is pretty common. But, it is also something that you will notice very soon, because your cat behavior will change totally. She will have problem with her stool, she will be in pain. I have two cats, and they do have anal gland disease. It is driving me crazy, but sometimes I think that I can’t do anything about this, and this makes me mad :/

If you notice that your cat behavior is different, if she has all those symptoms, you should take her to the vet, because you don’t have any experience with it.

Good luck! 

Hey. Yes, with proper care this won’t be so huge problem. It is true, it is painful for your cat, it is painful for you to see this as well, but with good vet, and latter, with your experience, I am pretty sure that this won’t be so huge problem as well :) I know, trust me, this is so common, because my cat’s suffer from this as well, but I have learn to treat this. Sometimes, when I can’t, I visit the vet and very soon, everything is fine. All you need to do is to observe all symptoms :)

Hi there guys.

Well, yes- anal gland disease is a common health issue in cats but not extremely common as someone could think from reading these posts.

I don’t have a cat right now but I speak from my earlier experience. Namely, I had two cats and they both were perfectly healthy. Also, two of my neighbors are cat owners and their cats have never had anal gland disease.

To sum up this, you shouldn’t be worried DS991 about your cat. Yes, anal gland disease is common issue but it doesn’t mean your cat will have that health problem too.

Just feed her properly, that’s very important.

From your description, that doesn’t sound like anal gland problem. It is possible that I’m wrong, so keep an eye on your cat and see if there are some other symptoms as well. Or you can take her to the vet, which is the best choice you have.

As for frequency of anal gland problems among cats – yes, they are in rising lately, but that doesn’t mean your cat is more prone to them. You can prevent them by feeding your cat properly and maintaining her hygiene.

Just do the right things and don’t worry too much (regular check-ups with your vet is strongly recommended).