Hi everyone. I have recently noticed that Benji (my beloved dog) has a swollen paw. I saw him walking strangely and when I looked better I saw that his paw is swollen and a little bit red. It’s obvious that he is in pain. I don’t know what is the cause of this . I’m afraid that he might hurt his paw or something. This has never happened with my dogs before and I don’t know what to do. Can you help me with this? What can be the cause of swollen paw and how common swollen paw is among dogs? Please share any similar experience you have.

It is unfortunately pretty common. There’s no need to panic of course cause this is usually not dangerous. It can be very uncomfortable though and sometimes very painful. :/ 

The thing is, dogs’ paws are very sensitive and dogs are not very gentle while using them.:) 

So the cause can be some kind of injury. It can also be some foreign object trapped between the pads of the dog’s foot. That happened to my friend’s dog once. It can also be some insect or spider bite that caused it, or maybe puncture wounds, broken toes etc. 

Or maybe it's some allergy. 

Hey. It is pretty much common. Like Mia already told you, it is not anything that you should be so worried about, but it is pretty much painful experience. And, seeing your dog suffering is something worst that can happen. Paws are really sensitive, and you should check your dog paws all the time. If you see, notice any sign of limping, favoring a let or hobbling, you must check this. Also, if you see that paws are swelling, you should react as well. Swollen paws are often caused by some object that is getting trapped between pads. Nothing serious, I repeat, but it is painful. 

Hey. It is very common, like others already told you.

But, don’t be scared, please :) I remember when my Boo had this, I was really scared. But, it is nothing serious, because it is usually common injury. I mean, a lot of dogs are playing around, running around and they do a lot of moving on some different surface. This is the most common way how to hurt their paw :)

But, when you see this, take your dog to the vet, just to stop some possible infections, which you don’t want.

But, there is no place for panic :)

My dog has a swollen paw right now. He gets that pretty often. I noticed it two times this year, though the first time it was a little less swollen and now it’s a bit more.

But I never panic about it. It’s pretty common and I know he likes to run fast and like someone said above, he is not at all gentle when he plays with other dogs. So I always know it’s just an injury. And his paws are very sensitive.

If this doesn’t disappear in a day or two, I will take him to the vet. But I’m sure it will pass by itself till then.

I had no idea it’s that common. My dog never had it and I’ve had him for seven years.
He sometimes get injured and you can see that his paw hurts when you touch it, but it’s never swollen.
There was this situation about a year ago when I ran into my friend and I’ve noticed her dog’s paw is swollen and he was walking a bit weird. She told me that a bee bit him and that she was just about to take him to the vet.
Besides that one, I've never heard about a single case of swollen paw... And I know a lot of dog owners.

My dog never had this. I didn’t know that this can be a case for every dog.

My dogs are playing all the time in the yard, and they never got hurt playing or running. At least, I didn’t saw that, and I do visit the vet with my dogs all the time.

If they didn’t notice this, I think that this was not the case for them.

I know that this is the injury, but I also know that this can be serious disease.

I think that this is not the case, according to your words.

Your dog will be just fine :)

Hey everyone,

I can agree on what you said about swollen paws being a common thing. I mean, they are always on their paws, running through grass and dirt, it gets pretty easy to hurt them. I remember how I freaked out when I saw it on my dog (I have a German Spitz). I took him to the vet immediately and then the vet explained to me that it happens really often but that there is nothing to worry about.

He told me it will pass in a day or two, and advised me to, if it happens again in the future, just check the dog’s paw for any foreign object, like a sting or something. And if it’s nothing there, and the dog’s paw doesn’t get better, then I should take him to the vet.

I totally agree with you. This must be common thing, because our dogs are playing all the time, they are running like crazy sometimes. It is pretty much impossible that they don’t grab something while they are on their paws. I had similar situation, but I was much younger, without experience, and without knowing a lot about dogs. I was scared, I was thinking that this is something really bad. Now, when my dog hurt his paws while he is playing around, I do know what to do. The most important thing is to stop his paws from being infected.