Hello, guys. My brother was diagnosed asthma last week. One of the parameters of asthma is bronchoconstriction as his doctor said. I would like to know how bronchoconstriction occurs and what to do about it. Can you help me with this? I would really like to hear our opinions. Thank you in advance.

Hi to you too. Bronchoconstriction represents constricted airways. It is the most common sign with asthmatic people. The airways are constricted and they have difficulties with breathing. The causes are numerous. It is mostly caused by high activity of parasympathetic autonomous nervous system. Some allergic substances like histamine can also cause this. The treatment for bronchoconstriction is usually with beta-2 agonists. These medications, such as salbutamol, spread airways by stimulating sympathetic nervous system which has the opposite effect on bronchi – bronchodilatation. Steroids can also be used like prednisone. Anti-parasympathetic drugs and amphetamines are also used here. You should discuss about this with your brother’s doctor.