I am going crazy here. For months now I have been having this feeling of my throat closing up, happens mainly at night time. I do suffer from acid reflux, in fact my doctor has had me on pretty much every medicine for it they have and I am takingit twice a day. Helps with the throat closing issue, but not completely. It still freaks me out, sometimes afraid to go to sleep not knowing if it will cut off my breathing while I sleep.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?? I am not sure when exactly it started, it seems like it it all started when one day my 12 yr old son and I were playing and I pretended to pick him up and he jumped in my arms (all 130 lbs of him), I woke up in the middle of the night with the most incredible pain ever, I was crying, I had hurt my back. I went to the doctor who sent me to a good chiropractor, he took xrays,said my back was out and hip way out and I pulled some muscles. From sometime within that week I think is when all this started. But not sure WHY. My son and I also were diagnosed at that time, him with bronchitis and the doc said I was coming down with it too. He put me on Amoxicillin, and then I started having the breathing prob and thought it was related to that and he put me on AMox again and a Med Pac (Methylpred pak- methylprednisolone)........fixed nothing!
BTW, just had a EGD (endoscope) done tuesday...said all looked good....now they want me to do this new procedure BRAVO ph monitoring. Oh and yes I have asthma but they say its not that, already checked.
There has got to be a reason for this , I just have missed it somewhere.
Can anyone help here???

Signed- "just want to finally breathe right again"

my mom is in the hospital right now this throat closing up has gotten so bad it all started out with anomnia ... but i think its the acid reflux thing all these test on lungs heart and chest they are so wrong i have a feeeling its from the acid...

Actually, it's been happening off and on for a few months now. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like acid has crept up into my throat - and it feels like my throat is almost completely stuck together because of the acids. For a second or two, I'm wheezing, trying to breathe - and then it opens up again. I'm afraid that one of these nights, it won't re-open. However, I find that as long as I don't eat too close to bed-time, I'm okay.. However, this evening, I ate 4 hours ago...

I have a similar problem. I wake up in the middle of the night with intense pain in my throat and it feels like it is going to close up. It stays that way for about half an hour. I have no idea what causes it. If you figure anything out please email me (_[removed]_m).

for a couple of years i have had like a tightening in my chest as i try to go to sleep - then i started waking up and i wasnt breathing, i could taste what i thought was sick at the back of my throat and i am gasping for breath, it feels like my throat has closed but after a few gasps i start breathing again - now twice i have woken up with pains across my chest and back and when i sit up i feel as if i am going to pass out i feel very hot and am sweating and my legs are wobbley, the second time it happened i felt sick as well - i am very scared to go to sleep - i had an ecg which showed my heart was ok so what can this be - i was given tablets to stop my stomach making acid but its happened again - my husband has said i now snore alot maybe this has something to do with it ? i am a young 42 yr old female - could it be 'the change'

I have the same problem, but it goes on for hours sometimes, getting tighter off and on. Sometimes I feel really dizzy, I feel like I'm not getting enough air at all, and I make wheezing sounds from the throat. I have asthma, the doctors checked my lungs and I even went to the hospital and they say it's not my asthma. It is destroying my life since it happens at night, when I walk more than 5 minutes and sometimes just sitting down doing nothing. It really feels like my throat is closing up, it gets really dry. And the only way I feel better is when I finally am able to spit out the most dense and sticky phlegm ever. The thing when I can't breathe that much, I can't sum up the power to cough.

This is the exact problem I had. My throat would close up, not enabling me to breathe. I went to the hospital at midnight after waking up and choking. My suggestion: Stay calm, it actually passed with time, but don't cough, or it goes back to choking. Eventually, I'd choke so bad, I'd have gag reflexes. After 2 rounds of antibiotics, the problem's gone.

What's creepy is that I had been using Ricola cough drops the whole while when I was sick. Today my throat was hoarse, so I grabbed a Ricola. 1 minute into having the cough drop, I started choking, not on the Ricola, but my throat closed up just like before. I think I found out my problem. I think I have a wild allergy to some of the herbs in Ricola. Although tracheittis (forgive my horrid spelling) can also cause a closing of the throat and take up to 3 rounds of the antibiotic to cure it. I'm here after about 3 weeks after my dreaded problem was over, so I'm hoping all it is is the Ricola. If not I might be up for another round of antibiotics. :-(

I am haveing the same problem, though I have not went to the docter for this. I have sleep amentia so I don't know if it is from that or not. Cause I have had that as long as I can remember. I wish i knew what was going on!!!

Hi all - I have had similar problems and finally went to an allergy/asthma doc - was diagnosed with vocal cord dysfunction (also called paradoxical vocal cord movement - PVCM) - do an internet search and you will find all sorts of good info. Wondering if this might be what's going on with any of you? She put me on Singulair and a steroid nasal spray, as post-nasal drip can make it flare up.

Hey..i'm 15 my name is kase...i'm having the problem with my throat trying to close up...its so scary...it feels like i'm having to struggle to breathe..and my throat feels all dry..i'm not coughing up anything..ugh..its making me absolutely miserable...if its still there 2morrow i'll try and convince my parents to take me to the doc...i hate this. :'(

for those of you who have awakened at night with chest pains gasping for breath, try asking someone to monitor you while you sleep for about an hour and see if you stop breathing during this time. our body will wake itself up to breath again. just a thought. 8-|

i have fears of having diseases. one of my fears includes my throught closing up, but i am no allergic to anything. roght now my throught feels weird and hurts, could it be closing up?

hi, i havea the same problem. I think it might be due to stress, either of the body, or your mind. I read, when you stress out, your throat closes up, also, it could be sleep apnea, which causes you not to be able to sleep well enough every night, sometimes getting up more than 100 time s a night to gasp for breath, if your doing this, it might be SLEEP apnea. I am a college student, aqnd i have been having trouble sleeping, and i have already woke up, and punched two windows, and cut my left forearm very badly. Look up angina pectoris, and angina( which ius a choking feeling in your chest). i read that drinking salt is good for peopl who have trouble breathing. I reade in this book called " Water Cures:Drugs Kill" by F. Batmanghelidj. It says in this book, that salt will " break the mucuous plugs in the lungs that obstruct the free flow of air in and out of the air sacs." SO, wbhat im doing is salt and water, , whichi seems to be helping,and i just tried it like 10 minutes ago. Look for yourself man, especially at this nbook, i promise, it will giveyou some good insight, and definitely help you. It also says in addition to salt, take minerals calcium, magnesiuum, potssium, zinc, and selenium. This book says that when your dehydrated, these minerals become deficient in the body, meaning they leave your body. HOpe this helps

None of you are going to like what I have to say BUT you are most likely having some sort of anxiety.

"Throat closing" is a common fear related with anxiety... I assume that none of your throats have closed up and killed you from lack of breathing.?.?.? Obviously.

I had the same problem and it was anxiety related. To make things even better don't smoke, and drink a moderate amount of water everyday, NOT SODA!!!! hehehe. Maybe 4 glasses a day, nothing crazy, just moderate.

dehydration is a common cause of anxiety, you DO NOT need anti-depressants of tons of meds.

Take care of yourselves, and find time to relax.

I am 25 (male), married, 2 kids and discovered that stress is a major link to this feeling. I have avoided watching disturbing movies and news... I exercise daily (now)... eat better than before...

I have made great strides and I can promise things get better if you put your mind to it.

**edited by moderator** =)

I HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM TOO SOMETIMES I GET SCARED SO YOUR NOT THE ONY ONE.