Good day there. I have this dry cough bothering me for a couple of months now and it seems to me that I can't find a reason what is going on. I was using some syrups as well, but none of those haven't helped me.

I think that this is not something why I should go and visit my doctor. Maybe I am wrong but whenever I was dealing with dry cough I was able to heal it on my own 

What are the causes of dry cough and what can I do about it? Maybe you can help me with your answers....

Hey Guest,

It is a weird thing that your dry cough has endured for so long, that is why I think you should talk to your doctor, you should have done it already actually.

Dry coughs are usually caused by flues and colds but in your particular case, it might be caused by streptococcus bacteria, have you ever heard about these? They live on your tongue and are usually harmless, but just sometimes they can be really dangerous and can cause some diseases and some bad conditions. I guess that you should just go to your doctor, do some tests and figure things out.

I am hoping to get some answers here as well because I have been coughing for like 2 years now. No, I'm not joking, I have been coughing for 2 years and I have no idea why is it happening, I sometimes think that I might have made it a habit but that is not true, I can feel an urge to cough so it can't be it. I went to the doctor twice, I did all the tests and everything was good. I have literally no idea what is going on here and neither does my doctor, does anyone have any ideas?

Yes, I am surprised as you are that this cough didn't disappear for that long. That is why I don't even know what the problem is. First, I believed that this will go away but nothing happens. True, I was a passionate cigaret smoker for more than 15 years but when this cough started to happen to me very often, I quit smoking. Is there any possibility that this can be some backward side - effect, even if that seems really funny even for me? I don't know what to think, I need to confess you that I was waiting again but still nothing. I think that I need to visit my doctor soon.

I am sorry to hear that this bothers you so much. It must be ugly. But you should not wait to see your doctor, you should do it as soon as you saw that nothing happens and that this cough just won't go away. 

Maybe it is because of some allergies or infections. That is why you need to do some tests to see what is going on. Generally, that dry cough is most often the result of infection from cold and flu viruses, but you should know that it can also be triggered by atmospheric pollutants (such as cigarette smoke) irritating your throat. 

Maybe you don't smoke anymore, but maybe this cigarette smoke is irritating your throat while you are with your friends who are smoking cigars...

I don't know...

I was at my doctor's last spring to see do I have some parameters that can indicate that I am allergic to several things but nothing. I am not allergic to anything. At least, I was not during that test. When I think a little bit, I was never allergic to anything. Yes, I do spend time with my friends who do some cigarettes, but I don't think that this is the problem because I have this issues when I am home alone as well. Definitely, I will have to go to see what is going on with me. I really hope that this is nothing serious. Thank you all for answering me.

Air pollution, allergies, acid reflux, etc - that all can cause a dry cough. In my opinion, your lasts for too long and maybe there is a problem with something else. I don't know what have you been waiting? 

Side - effects of certain medications can also cause it. 

But as I can see, you have issues with a PERSISTENT dry cough! This can be because of asthma, some heart issues, tuberculosis or lung problems. Those are just SOME of the potential issues.

You can try with honey drink until you realize that doctor is the best option. Marshmallows are also good.

Smoking can definitely cause dry cough, I guess that you should just go and talk to your doctor again and do some tests again. I don't know what can be causing your dry cough to prolong for that long, maybe there are more than one causes combined, maybe you had a flu or something and then in addition to that, you were a smoker for so long and maybe from time to time you run across something that you allergic to so even if your coughing stops, you won't be able to notice it because something else will immediately cause it again.

Why don't you just go and talk to your doctor so that he can help you determine what is causing your dry cough? You might have just made it a habit, it rarely happens but it does happen to some people. It might be due to your smoking, due to streptococcus bacteria, due to a cold or a flue or something, you might have a problem with your lungs, there are several things which can cause this so you should really talk to your doctor if you want to know for sure what is causing this and if you want to successfully treat it.

I don't know, there are many causes of dry cough and if your doctor doesn't know what is wrong with you, then probably nobody else won't know either. I actually just saw a video about people who are suffering from tourette's syndrome and they have these tics which are making them cough constantly. I am not saying that you have tourette's, that would be stupid of me, I am just saying that so many different things can be the cause of your dry cough so if your doctor doesn't know what is going on, you might have made your coughing a habit somehow.