How do you restore a nervous system to normal. Its getting better, but i always feel on edge, quick to anger, easily annoyed, heightened senses, trouble sleeping, sweaty palms, pounding heart and nervousness. Like i said, im starting to feel better, but i want to get rid of the things like sweaty hands.

Have you tried an anti-depressent?
Though I would rather not take them it is the only thing that has helped me.

so your saying an anti-depressant can effect your nervous system?

Not necessarily but it sounds like Eric C has some anxiety issues going on which will effect his nervous system. Anti depressants has helped me with those issues. Mine supposedly was set off by thyroid disease.
It is a terrible feeling when you are "ouchy" with everyone, on edge and your heart feels like its pounding out of your chest. I would even hyper ventilate when mine was bad.

what about the sweaty hands? Thoses especially bother me, its annoying when doing activities with your hands.

so does anybody know how you can calm your sympathetic system down? It just feels like im not in control of my bodies responses.

I would also like a answer to this. In my case it is a constant low of saliva that clogs up my throat, increased heart rate, always on edge, quick to snap and get angry at the stupidest things. I find that Bromazepam helps temporarily but after a couple of weeks of taking them you ever have to increase the dose or they won't work, like all benzodiazepines.

does anybody know if it is possible that an overactive or over stimulated sympathetic nervous system is caused by to much Cortisol in the blood over a long period of time? Because as i understand Cortisol does signal the symapthetic nervous system to turn on.

Having an overactive sympathetic nervous system means that you are constantly in fight or flight mode. You must learn to turn that switch on and off. It is not an easy process but I have heard that yoga is quite helpful or even meditation.

Here is the process of your nervous system--You have your SYMPATHETIC and your PARASYMPATHETIC. The job of the sympathetic system is to tell your body that there is an emergency, therefore your adrenaline shoots wayyy up. The job of the parasympathetic system is to calm your body down. They work together. Think of it like a sea saw. Sympathetic shoots up, and parasympathetic pulls you back down. Did you know that you can actually die from fright? AKA "scared to death"? This is because your sympathetic system shot so far up in a desperate emergency that to even you out, your parasympathetic pulled you so far down that your heart actually stops beating.

Have you ever noticed that in pictures you tend to have "red eyes" more then the people surrounding you? This is because your sympathetic system is aroused and your pupils become more dilated. It does this for survival purposes, to let more light in so you can become more aware of your surroundings. If you blush, or get a blushing kind of splotchy skin rash that is also your fight or flight mode at work. Your blood vessels dilate allowing more blood to pump through your body leaving you with a yucky and embarrassing rash that usually goes away about ten minutes after the stressful situation is over. This can occur in any uncomfortable environment or even during sex. The cause of sweating hands, feet, or armpits is due to your parasympathetic system working hard to calm down your escalated sympathetic reaction. The sweat is provided to "cool you off". Leaving you with yet another embarrassing problem that leads to more anxiety. It is a vicious cycle.

There are things that help. I have suffered from this since I was 12 years old. I am now 22 years old. I experience armpit sweating along with neck and chest blushing. There have been things I have discovered that have helped me immensely with these issues. Here are a few:

Drysol. This is a medicine prescribed by a doctor. A special deodorant that will help eliminate the sweating in your hands, armpits, or feet. It has been my miracle medicine. I have been on it for six years now and have had few problems with sweating. For those rare days that it doesn't seem to help as much, I simply wear darker clothing or find a shirt with a fabric that does not pick up the sweat rings.

If you are a female who suffers from body blushing then I can tell you that spray tans also hide this pretty well. If spray tanning is not in your budget, body makeup works well. If you find with the body makeup it comes off on your shirt or the sun hits it the wrong way and shows that you are "trying to cover something", then I HIGHLY recommend buying body glitter. Put this over the body makeup and it looks like you weren't doing anything but wearing some fun body glitter. If people say something about it coming off on your clothes--OH WELL! Let it slide off your back. It's only a big deal if you make it one. Wearing white seems to be the only problem color anyway.

MEN, if you are experiencing body or face blushing, they sell creams in stores for Rosacea and those tend to help too. Women can also try this of course. Also if you are out in the sun, heat triggers your blood vessels to dilate so wear a high spf sunscreen! I use SPF 70...don't abuse your skin trying to tan like crazy...Fake it. That's why they make it. Save your skin and stay young and beautiful.

Lastly, as far as other medications to help calm your nervous system you can try anti anxiety medicines. It may work for you, I have tried nearly all and they make me sweat more and shake. I'm not doctor, but I would make a guess that the reason this occurs is because it is stimulating my parasympathetic system more, but still my overactive sympathetic system finds a way to stay hard at work. TRY A BETA BLOCKER (like Atenalol or Coreg). These are what celebrities and preforming music artists are often prescribed to block their adrenaline rush during shows or events. I have found those help me some. Be sure to talk to a good doctor about it a lot though, because it is a heart medication.

To end this post I would like to say that out of all the things I've listed that help, the most powerful of all of them is the mind. Find ways to give yourself confidence and good self esteem and these problems will be cut in half. Exercise helps remarkably as well. Remember, your sympathetic and parasympathetic systems react under stress. Exercise is an all natural stress reducer. Next time you feel fight or flight, just flight! Run a mile lol. It will help get in alllllllllll out of you. Take care everybody. I sure help this helped. Good luck and God bless.

Have you thought of having the Micro ETS procedure done for this issue? I have all the same symptoms you do, and I'm so tired of it! I'm thinking about having this done.

Hi Eric,

I have a similar problem but it's a little different. What you have might be caused by hyperthyroidism. Check out this article--it will tell you everything you need to know about symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, etc.:

Good luck!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hello, did you find any answers to your trouble sleeping, sweaty palms, pound heart and nervousness? I am having the same problems and I have not found anything that helps yet except for the Drysol does work some for the sweaty palms.

Barbara

overactive sympathetics are endemic in our modern world. what is not discussed in the medical community is dysaffrentation as a PRIMARY cause of sympathic overactivity. dysaffrentation occurs when neural "sensors" give incorrect or irritated feedback to the nervous system. These sensors are intrinsic to our joints and muscles, are most numerous in the spinal joints and deepst, intrinsic muscles that attach the vertebrae to one another, and are ESPECIALLY numerous at the level of the axial skeleton where the first two vertebrae join the base of the skull.
Misalignments mean aberrant feedback, and the primary misalignment is almost always at C1, the vertebra that surrounds the brainstem. This is because, unlike the rest of the bony spine, there are no interlocking facets to maintain C1 (aka "atlas")postioning. When this is misaligned, the body has no way to directly move it back (as the intrinsic muscles, like those of the suboccipital triangle, exist primarily as sensory organs, less as movement organs). Misalignment can start at birth (have you seen the way clinicians pull babies during labor?), or can occur with later trauma, or even with akward repetitive motions(stop holding your cellphone with your shoulder!) When the brain recognizes (via the eyes, balance mechanisms of the inner ear, etc), "uneven", it will create a compensatory structuring of the spine, head, and even extremities, to keep our head with a straight up-down postion, with eyes at the horizon (if they work) and the semi circular canals neutral in the three dimensions. This serves us immediately, but in the long run, the dysaffrentation takes its toll on the system. Misaligments can be minimal, and compensation can be also minimal...in mechanical appearance, but the neurological impact of the dysaffrentation is profound.
How does one "fix" the problem? See an upper cervical chiropractor. NUCCA is my preferred technique, but while in school I must utilize the toggle recoil technique to optimize my patient's nervous systems. Good luck and be well!

Wow, me to a T. My hands have always shaken consistenly, sweaty palms, harsh reaction to caffeine, easily nauseous from any moving vehicle, nervous, short temper, depression, zero confidence...all of which are constant. I can tell everyone that omega 3 and vitamin D have helped me control general feelings of angst, and have assisted with the irritability. Hope this helps!

hey icame across your post i have some of these symptoms too im 23 and it drives me mad but i just found something called jiaogulan i think it might help these nerves of ours- look at ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed its a chinese herb but i dont think from what i read that its NOT stimulating. hope it helps im giving it a try.