When I snort crystal meth I get shortness of breath and develop a deep hacking cough from the bronchial area. Is this an allergic reaction to the chemical found in meth or is the use activating my asthma? I'm treating it like it is an asthma attack using albuterol and pulmicort in a nebulizer and also a pro-air inhaler. I also have an Rx for promethazine with codeine which seems to calm the hacking cough and soothes my throat. Is this the right medicine to take or is it wrong to take while using meth? I also take 40mg of Paxil a day and does it conflict with anything mentioned above? Thank you for your help on this.

It could have something to do with your asthma.
Everybody reacts different to Meth, it may be just the way your body
acts when you intake.

Did you tell your doctor that your were doing Meth? I'm sure he/she wouldn't prescribe asthma medication when it is clear that someone with a chronic condition isn't helping the situation by taking an illegal substance. Quit the Meth and I bet you'll feel better!

Could b the asthma but I doubt it the dope could have a higher amount of acetone then normal but that usually only makes u cough and hack up sh*t if u smoke it

I suffer from asthma and if I smoke meth it does cause tightness in my chest but if I shoot it, it has the opposite effect. I actually find that I can take much deeper breaths than normal, even experimented and found that I'm able to do more physical activity without becoming winded. Not sure why it has such a different effect on my breathing depending on how I dose it. 

I have asthma and have used crystal. If I were you, I would not be too quick to blame your short breathing on crystal. Fact is, you might in fact just have asthma. and your body is becoming more aware of it. Mine flared up after I adopted a pet. I had to give her up for adoption within 72 hours, I reacted so bad. Meth provided vague relief (it used to be prescribed as an anti-asthmatic back in the old days), but trust me, a prescription inhaler with Salbutamol does the job MUCH, MUCH more efficiently. If you are noticing dry, persistent cough, increasing chest mucus, a tormenting "tickling" in your lower throat and lungs causing you to wheeze or hack, and are experiencing troubled sleep patterns because you can't stop coughing... and especially if you've observed new or worsening allergies to animal hair and dander, dust or other provocateurs, guess what, it's not the meth: YOU HAVE ASTHMA. :-( Get treatment for it. It sucks. Sorry. :-( Welcome to our club :-(

HELLO studies show that addiction is a disease and most users cannot stop on their own without treatment. When asking questions while using meth meth users DESERVE the right to ask questions to other meth users to get info
So they can be more safe! People that use Meth don't want to die... How dare u put other people down when u have NO IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO QUIT EVEN WHEN U LOSE EVERYTHING YOU STILL GO BACK ITS AN ADDICTION AND UNLESS TREATED IT CAN BE FATAL SO
YOU SHOULD HOPE ALL
ARE ABLE TO GET HELP
BEFORE THEY DIE... After all norms people are people how can u not care.

Hmmm don't that sound promising , easier said then done !!

Thank you for writing that. I was one of those people. Got help . Left rehab 2 weeks ago . About 60 days clean. Thx for the words and zero judgment

THANK YOU so very much!! As a mother of addict, I know that it is not possible to quit in their own and these people need help and deserve to be treated with respect!
It is nice to know that there are people like you, who CARE!!
My son is been on and off for many years and it breaks my heart, but the more I know about meth, the more I can help him. I love him with all my heart and do believe him, when he tells me that he DOES NOT want to do meth and DOES NOT want to die! I will do EVERYTHING I can to help him to go thru that difficult time.

I don't know how I came across this website or comments. But I do know that the one who wrote about their son just brought me to tears. Prayers for you and for every addict everywhere

People can quit on their own. Some choose not to. Some can't.
It has much to do a large pool of factors. More than can be listed and it's not just one thing.
Personality, support system, will, desire, situation, environment and on and on.
I quit drugs, then smoking without anything other than the will and desire to do so.
No rehab, no patch. It can be done.

Im a cig smoker. Im addicted lol but one thing i believe is that if they truly want to stop any kind of addiction is they need to have the WANT the true want to stop. After that the help they receive will work. My ex girlfriend was addicted to a couple things at different times in her life. Mostly meth and heroine ( never made since to me why those 2 cuz they are completely different) anyways her parents forced her into rehab numerous times and everytime she finished she would be back to doing drugs. A few years back she was in a homeless shelter getting ready to go to rehab. She was going to put herself there this time and for the first time. The night before her spot was open she did some heroine (im assuming her " just one last time before im done for good") and it turned out to be the very last thing she ever did. But my point is is that if they dont want it then it wont work but if they do then thats when they are done.

Well no sh*t, addiction is very powerful disease. U wouldn't know unless you've been there. Recovery isn't a walk in the park

My two cents on the topic of addiction to meth.... no disrespect to the addicts out there. I seriously don't understand how people become addicted to stimulant type drugs such as meth or crack cocaine for instance. Not to say I haven't gotten spun on meth for a days on end but those episodes are very few and far between. That sh*t is just too hard on the body to have a daily habit and the feeling during or day after is not one I ever crave.. I don't get the hype behind crack. I've doesed it maybe 4 or 5 times, via different methods of administration. I really don't like it. Coke is alright but again not n every day type thing. I'm not rich after all. This is not to say that I am above addiction entirely and don't have my own struggle.
In an attempt to address the original posters question in regards to the meth cough I will say the cough comes mostly as a reaction to irritation from drying out of the alveolar sacs and mucus membranes within the bronchi and excessive bronchodialation. It would not generally be related to asthma as the general inflammatory condition resulting in wheezing and tightness of the chest as other posters have stated. It should help with that to a certain degree. Although it would depend on how you dose. I'm personally not a smoker of anything. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I despise all things related to smoking legal or not. BTW, FWIW, I'm a respiratory therapist. I am, however, not a pulmonologist and am not qualified to diagnose any lung related health issues. Take anything I have said with a grain of salt. I may or may not be correct. I obviously have problems of my own. Even with the amount of knowledge I have on the inner workings of the heart and lungs I still choose to abuse drugs from time to time. Sorry for the long rambling post. I'm obviously high right now.