Hello. I'm 34 year old male and last couple of months I have suffered from strong pain coming out of my foot, especially big toe. It has somehow changed his shape and that’s why it caused me a lot of pain when I wear some shoes. About two weeks ago I have contacted my general practitioner and he diagnosed me with some condition called Hallux Valgus. So, he told me my only option was some kind of operation called silver bunionectomy and scheduled me for operation in a week. He didn’t say anything about recovery or similar and this could be very important for me because I work as shoffer. Please tell me how long before you can drive after this silver bunionectomy?

Hello. I know some facts about this condition because my brother was diagnosed with it a few years back and had this silver bunionectomy operation a week later. You must know that this could be very dangerous condition which sometimes needs urgent operation because you could loose your big toe. You can't even imagine what this means.
Hallux Valgus is condition where hallux limitations are caused by a build up of bony spurs around the big toe joint.
Silver or McBride bunionectomy means just cleaning up the joint and removing the spurs. The good thing about this whole operation is that healing is very rapid after this out-patient procedure.
Regular shoes can be worn in 2 weeks and regular activities such as driving can start in the third or fourth week after surgery.

how long till you can do physical sports like wrestling again?

I had the bunionectomy surgery with bone removal and 2 screws on 1-26-07, that's 16 days ago. I have a removable boot and no pain unless I am standing or the foot is hanging down (dependent position). I have walked the dog a few blocks and finally drove with a sock and sandal (very adjustable) a few miles today. I want to bike as soon as possible (with the boot?) before I have the second surgery at the end of March. Personally, I can't imagine competitive sports in your usual shoe for a while yet, because my podiatrist wants me to continue in the boot for at least 3 more weeks to let the bone heal. He also wouldn't want the second foot done for at least 8 weeks after the first, because even for walking or driving, the first foot will be taking more weight....and that's not jumping or running. Hope your recovery goes great, as you're younger, it may go faster!

sherry wrote:

My bunionectomy will be 3 weeks old on Monday. Do not let the first 8 days fool you. I was so pain-free after surgery. I had a pain pump, and a wonderful portable ice water irrigation system that pumped ice water all around my foot, for two hour intervals. Ialso had prescribed pain pills. Man I thought I was a raving surgicial success. I shopped and went out to eat at a favorite restaurant on the fifth day. On the 7th day, I attended the surgery of my granddaughter. On that 8th day, I drove about 15 miles to go home. By nightfall, I was in pure agony. My foot swelled up for the first time. I was completely bedridden and wrapped in ice. I am such an active person, that I was actually depressed to lay around. By the third completely inactive day, I was in tears. However, I learned to respect that foot and let it boss my whole life. I lift my foot atleast 2 hours a day and while I sleep. Now that the bandages are off, I place water and ice in my massaging foot spa and turn put it on massage. I am feeling much better and I have had no swelling for the last two days. I am looking forward to wearing real shoes after this week. Count on atleast one month and be very very careful and do the exercises. The swelling is what makes it hurt. So baby that foot. It will heal much faster. It is no big deal if you take good care and don't be fooled by the anesthesia, like I was. Good luck!!

I am a 37 yr old fame and I had my surgery two and half weeks ago, but it does not fele like it. My healing has been anything but pleasant. I have had extreme swelling and still have, constant pounding, blue-purple bruising all over the top of my foot, sensitivity all over the top of my foot that makes a root-canal feel like a picnic and excruciating pain whenever I would attempt to lower my to go to the bathroom. I have never experienced pain like this in my life. I have had 6 shots a week after the surgery during an office visit after embarrisingly crying when sceduling appointment. I have had a week of interupted sleep due a shock of pain (whilst on strong...... painkillers). I just yesterday wore my boot (with crutches) for an hour and had to remove it before reaching home. Someone please tell me that this will pass and get better!!!

I am 35 yrs old. Had surgery on th 10th of July. Surgery wasn't that bad. For me it was being in bed and not being able to move around. I just remove bandages 2 days ago and now able to put on tennis shoes. I bought a pair of new shoes my foot could not get n them, PAINFUL! PAINFUL! Had an old pair that worked but really hurt. I'm only able to walk around for 5-8 mins without getting dizzy and then back to the bed or chair. My left big toe(tip) burns at times,its numb, skin is dry. My question is how do I relieve that numbness pain? Also when did your Dr's tell u it would be a good idea to return back to work? I'm off 4 6wks but I still don't think thats enough time? I have 3 sofa pillows stacked on top of one another, is that to high? My scars are not beautiful at all. My Dr. recommended MEDERMA, how about yours?

the only relief for the burning and numbness is ice and elevation.
As far as elevation of the foot is concerned you want the foot higher than your heart. If you keep it too high you could hurt your hip or your knee.

My scar is a thin line and not noticable. Are you in a stretching machine for the big toe? Mine is a Dynasplint and I put my toe in it 3x day. I'm working from home which luckily I can do in my line of work since i'm on the phone and internet all day regardless of being in my home office or my corp headquarters...meeting are via conference call for now.

I could not imagine putting on a shoe or a sandal....I'm not even walking more than short distances from my door to the car of someone who is picking me up and driving me for lunch.

I had my bunion surgery on September 21st...And I do not see the Doctor until Oct. 6. Coincidentally, my medical leave papers that his office filled out said my leave would be from sept. 21-oct. 6.... what? When I saw the Doctor in his office before my surgery, I asked well what is recovery like? How long would I be off work? 2-3 weeks? He looked at me and said well, more like 4-5 weeks... gotta be able to put on a shoe without swelling and walk comfortably... ok.... then why the paperwork filled out like that? I find I have to wear a shoe on the opposite foot, even around the house, because it throws my hip out and since I am walking ''funny'' my back has started aching. Watch out for the vicodin, it does constipate you... I am hoping for a quicker recovery than some who have posted here, since my bunion was on the top of my foot and he said, relatively small. My instructions from post surgery, were to keep foot elevated at all times for the 1st 2 days, then as much as possible for the next 5 days.. my foot does hurt and swell more if I keep the leg down, such as when I am on the computer, so I don't do it too much. I still elevate my leg several times a day and still ice, too. I thought that 14-15 days was a long time before they looked at incision or took out the stictches, but, according to the folks here, that sounds about right. i had the surgery because I had pain all the time and bunion stuck out of my shoes and other people could even tell me which foot my bunion was on. i am hoping for a good result. I have a problem with my other foot ( not a bunion ), and I am waiting to see how this gies before I do anything to it... I may just let it go.. it is not painful. Thanks so much for eveyone's input.... it really helps to see what others are going thru with like procedures.

Mel, it's utterly hilarious right now. I had surgery one day after you - Sept 22. Initially my doc said I'd be back to work within 4-5 weeks. It looks like I'll be back 8 weeks later on Nov 23. Thank God for that because I cannot imagine sticking my right foot in any kind of shoes any time soon. Surgery was good, I was removed from the room pain free and wide awake cracking jokes with any and everyone. I got home in great groggy spirits. Day 1 was excellent. Saw my doc on Day 2, nicely hobbling around with my cane. Got home at 11 am took my meds and knocked out for 2 hours. I woke up in an attempt to visit the bathroom and I collapsed on the couch and started yelling and bawling like a baby. Called the doc who told me that I should come in for a shot. And then I got some crutches. Long story short for about 7 days after that I was cursing myself wondering why on earth I had decided to do such a thing. The best thing anyone can do is to keep that foot propped up with ice packs readily available and someone to help you out. Even when you are hobbling around with your crutches keep that foot bent upward as near to your butt as possible. Baths or sponges become simply interesting. The simplest things take so much time and energy. Your other foot might be very mad at you since it's being overworked so much. I'm sure I'll be fine in 6 months but those few days were simply terrifying. That pressure that hits your foot when you try standing is utterly ridiculous but no pain no gain I guess. And yup that vicodin did nothing for me but put me to sleep. Well I guess I should be thankful. But then I would wake up in agonizing pain because for some odd reason the foot had a mind of it's own. It jerked during sleep and I'd wake up shouting. I have an incredibly high tolerance for pain but ... I have the most profound respect for my feet now. I shall baby them and love them forever. And yes I also find that wearing a shoe on the other foot does help while walking around the house. I feel lopsided without it. It's approaching my third week and today I hobbled out of the house to do some running around. Got back in and it got swollen and a bit painful. Now I'm just wondering about my dear stiff big toe. Trying to stretch it but it feels broken. Hehe. I'm supposed to get the other foot done but I'm not so sure anymore. Just want to wish all my bunionectomy brothers and sisters speedy recoveries, best wishes and as little pain as possible. You all have been a great help. I am not alone after all. :-)

Wow, after reading these stories I feel much better.I had my surgery done on Oct.1,2009 and I just was able to fit into shoes yesterday. Of course they are a size bigger than I usually wear. I had both feet done at the same time. Not much pain but Dr. told me that I had more swelling that usual. I have literally done nothing for the past 4 weeks. Rest, ice, elevate. Since i couldn't get my feet wet for 2 weeks I had to use a shower chair and stick my feet out of the tub with the shower curtain draped between my legs. Dr. told me that i can't drive for 2 more weeks and I have to be able to wear a shoe all day before I even attempt it. All this sitting around has made me slightly fatter and my clothes are tight. I used my son's game boy the first two weeks to prevent from going crazy while lying in bed all day and all nite. I thought Ibprofen worked way better than the hydrocodone. I am glad I did this as my feet don't hurt as much as before the surgery, however the recovery process is slow.

I had the surgery a few days a go. the meds made me nauseous and gave me a headache. Switched over to advil and felt great. BUT this is because I followed instructions Stayed home, rested , elevated foot . Iced on 2 hours off 2 hours for several days. Used the hard shoe and a walker. Took it easy. Two weeks from now stitches will come outand then I'll drive. I'm 61 and it great health and female.

The first day was hell because of the pain and meds but second day I was fine. Just tired. Had  the  silver procedure. Hopefully I will continue to feel great.Good luck