my husband recently quit cold turkey drinking alcohol and was wondering how long the symptoms usually last? he is on cymbalta for depression and finally realised drinking hard wiskey every nite was not helping. he is having almost all of the mild to moderate symptoms and is taking more and more of the drug xanax that his doctor prescribed for sleep disorders.
we are a little worried about how long his symptoms will last.

Celebrity
How long has you husband been drinking? I think that the withdrawal symptoms may depend on that as well.
I know some stuff because my father used to be a heavy drinker. But tell me one thing….has your husband started drinking before or after being prescribed cymbalta?

Cymbalta and alcohol don’t go together in any case. This combo is very dangerous because it may cause liver failure. If he had been drinking before starting cymbalta, he should have reported that to the doc who prescribed the drug to him.

NEVER EVER GO THROUGH ALCOHOL WITHDRAWEL WITHOUT A DOCTORS HELP. Alcohol is the only withdrawel that you can die from. See your doctor immediately ! They can give you medications and lost vitamin that you will need.

I quit drinking "Cold Turkey" and I have anxiety attacks bad sometimes in my sleep I feel like I'm lozing my breath. I went to the hospital about it
and they say your just having a panic attack. Can anyone help me with this problem?

I have suffered from panic attacks for several years, I have given up drinkin g now for 7 weeks, I also jump in my sleep, the only way to explain this feeling is like u r falling, but the differnce is I actually feel like I have died or about to, the only way to stop this is by me screaming out loud. I use to drink alcohol to help with my panic attacks but unfortunately it only makes it 100 times worse. It is frightening, it actually stops me from closing my eyes and going to sleep, hopefully yours will go good luck.

I was a weekend binge drinker for 20 years. The last 3 of these were really excessive. I have stopped drinking for 3 months. I initially suffered from panic attacks, anxiety and tremors. I was prescribed Celexa. I have been on Celexa for 1 month. The panic attacks and anxiety have gone down somewhat but I still suffer from tremors. Anyone else suffer from tremors?

I hope you get over this withdrawal thing, just know that at this very moment im going through the same thing. Its tough, but if i can do it, you sure as heck can :D

Man I am 10 months sober from alcohol but still have symptoms. I have a history of daily drinking for 10 yrs straight( 3/4 bottle of scotch every night). The symptoms of alcohol withdrawal are nothing more then symptoms of hypoglycemia. Treat your hypoglycemia and everything will be fine. The place where I live, Toronto, Canada...there is no doctor who understands this. All they say is, its just anxiety...its emotional blah blah blah. 

There is no short cut to recovery, I have tried everything. One thing is there, your body will improve gradually. Recovery is extremely slow but gradual. I dont understand one thing, which ever disease you read about, the doctors always say that the cause of the disease is unknown or genetic and there is no cure for it. Its just management. If thats the case then why the hell on earth do we consider ourselves superior in the field of Medicine. Guys, try ashwaganda(Ayurvedic), its Indian Ginseng...it will help to get rid of most of your withdrawal symptoms in 3 weeks time. . Be open minded to other forms of therapy or else the road ahead is pretty much ....you know what!!

I am shakey

Hi, Karthik from India. I used to drink for 13 years, almost a full bottle of whisky or Vodka or Brandy. I decided to quit my habit and went thru medical assistance. I still experience the w/d symptoms. Am also on Antabuse daily. Always good to be a sober. We always enjoyed when we drank. we should also experience the withdrawal symptoms hence we will not think of that liqour again in our life.

Hi all, just been flicking through everyone's comments. I've recently discovered that I'm an alcoholic. I was confronted about it, but tried to justify it and denied it outright. Managed a week off the stuff without too much difficulty, then I started again doing half a bottle of vodka a night. 3 days later I started a 36 hour binge and I drank 9 bottles of wine and a litre of vodka. Stopped on Sunday; it's now Tuesday afternoon and I'm feeling better bit by bit. Just taken an antiemetic to stop me throwing up and a rehydration drink. I've had my rock bottom moment now. Hard to explain to someone who's not been there, but you know it when it hits you. Me and alcohol are done now. But I'm worried about what I've done to my liver. Can anyone offer advice on what to look out for? I have very slight yellowing at the edge of my eyes, and hot skin. Plus the nausea. Am I in trouble? Thanks guys, I'd really appreciate the feedback.

go and get blood work done . they can test your blood counts and see what your liver is doing.

My husband also quit drinking about 5 weeks ago. He is still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

He is having heart racing, headaches, head feels foggy, sweating. He is wondering how long do these symptoms last?

Any else out there had same issue. He is going through depression with the withdrawal and has been to the Dr. and on meds for that for sometime. Has realized this is worsened affect with drinking hence quit however he has done this before and had these symptoms but not for as long as this time.

Anyone out there have same expreience or things he can do to help?

if its any help Ive been thru withdrawal abut 8 times in the past 3 years and theres n rhyme or reason to hw bad it can be each time. Ive ended up in hospital on two occasions and on thers I only had 24 hrs of bad symptoms. One time it last 10 days anther three months. The heart palpitations for me are the worst. They scare me s bad and this is where I am today. It always begins within an hour of not having my first drink, gets steadily worse over 24 hours, peaks at 72 hours and slowly recedes. This one is ging to be a bad one..im getting to knw the signs and they arent good today. I know in abut 7 hrs I will be locked into a virtual HELL and be s frightened. I cant tell anyone either so Im all alone. The hardest part is trying to stay calm when your body feels as thugh is seizing up. :(

Hi I'm similar to numptyboozer. Just about every week I have been trying to quit for the last 6 years so go through detox every week. Have gone the AA, medication, slow withdrawal of drinking. Have finally realized going cold turkey & keeping away from people is the only way to get through it as I am overly sensitive. Yes sometimes I felt like I was dying with the heart palpitations but get through it. Finally I have stopped & aren't craving a drink. I last drank New Year Eve so it has been 17 days now. I'm exhausted & emotional but over the worst. I was drinking 1-2 bottles of scotch a day for 14 years. New years day I woke up injured with no recollection of it & know my liver was packing it in. FINALLY! I've made it through to the other side!