Hey everyone and simply put, thanks. I KNOW MY POST IS LOOOOONG. BUT IT IS TRUE, SIMPLE, NO SCIENCE INVOLVED. JUST WHAT I HAVE GONE THROUGH, COLLEGE FRIENDS HAVE GONE THROUGH, AND I CAN GUARANTEE, IN 1 MONTH, YOU WILL BE A WHOLE NEW PERSON. YOU JUST GOTTA READ AND UNDERSTAND.... and message me or repost and I will be glad to reply and help!!

I AM OCD, SO I MAY BOUNCE BACK FROM DIET TO EXCERSIE TO DIET, BUT READ IT ONCE, AND AGAIN, I GUARANTEE YOU'LL BE BACK IN 1 MONTH (AND THERE IS NO BOOK SELLING AND I'M NOT AN AUTHOR!!!!)

We're all here helping each other. I have gone from a vicodin addiction for 1 full year, stopped the vicodin (got back into training and running), but then began to drink alcohol (vodka), then I got off the alcohol w/ the help of xanax, but only to keep popping xanax to stay away from the vodka. I'd go through a months worth of xanax in 10 days, then vodka-it until the next xanax fill. All while being on Ambien, which I popped one every night w/ 4 vodka shots just to black out... I knew I had a problem...

I was also offered Cymbalta (not just for depression, but also for anxiety) b/c that is my main issue of my drinking... this recession and economy has me in almost 100k in debt. I researched Cymabalta, and realized how bad their withdrawal symptoms were, so I didn't fill the script.

I tried going cold turkey on the vodka twice... both times going back to the doctor for a xanax refill, begging him to refill it (but I was honest and he knows I am trying!!) Like everyone else, first day off liquor is fine if you take that AM shot. The next few days hurt, then the insomnia kicks in. I think everyone experiences Delerium, like nightmares, frights, fears, seeing things, etc., but only a select few siezure from them, see snakes, bugs, etc.

I am a TRUE believer on weaning off the vodka. Your brain, spinal column, nerves, muscles, etc. have all been accustomed to running on alcohol. Same when you use steroids. You body actually turns your testicles off, runs on the injections, then when the injections stop, what? Your testicles just turn back on?! No way... your body must adapt. Go cold turkey and you could not only damage your brain, you could damage nerve endings, get a pinched nerve... or worse, begin to develop diseases and cancers as your body attempts to cope w/ the pains. Weaning off the vodka (going from 10 shots a day for 1 week, to 9 shots a day for 6 days, 8 shots a day for 5 days, etc.) will slowly, again, slowly allow your brain and body to cope w/ the less alcohol, or ethanol as they put it. As you wean off, up your intake of better foods. When drinking at full capacity, your exhausted by 8pm, fall asleep at 10pm, but toss n turn from 2-4am. Why? You are actually getting TOO MUCH SLEEP!! The vodka is slowing your body down, making you lazy, so your body doesn't need that much sleep to replenish anything!! BUT, your body is being depleted of vital vitamins, which it can not "create" on its own when you sleep, you need it from your diet, but your not eating right.... so you're not getting your vitamins, so your tired and unproductive each day.... As you wean off each shot per day, add a vegetable a day. Add fruit, add more foods. Pinapples and grapefruits are great for flushing you out, but blueberries are the best, but expensive. Picture it like an equilibrium chart... the less alcohol you ingest, the more carbs, fresh proteins, and fruits n veggies you should ingest. This will help get your brain and nerves running and amped up on natural stimulants and neurons.

Again, you all will still experience insomnia... we will all never escape that symptom, but what will help is a $40 gym membership. It will suck, I know, but get your asses up at 5am, start slow if you have to. Run 1 mile, then go home. Run 1.2 miles the next day... but the key is to go 2 times a day. I know some of you are saying "I have a relationship, children, families, jobs, careers...." but what you don't realize, or are blinded by our natural instinct to deny, is that you can go at 5am, shower in the locker room, be the first one at the office WORKING HARD TO KEEP YOUR MIND OFF THE CRAVINGS. By working hard, you not only not crave, but GET SH*T DONE!! Then 5pm or 6pm roles around....boom!... at the gym again, sweating, getting in shape.

Today and tomorrrow, on the way home from work, evaluate what you really got done. Than re-evaluate what you could have gotten done if you weren't d*ckin around on facebook, ebay, or any other site... just hard work. Now, combine that hard 8-5 or 8-6pm, w/ 2-a-days running and/or weightlifting, and you'll begin to lose that insomnia.

If you are in a TRUE relationship, then your partner should know what is going on. With this in mind, they will cover for you... why you are coming home later than usual. Why you leave so early in the AM. That is love. It is not a lie, it is something children should not have to know about their parent(s). It will only cause issues for them down the road. If your child is 18 or 19, and knows alcoholism is a disease, then it's up to you. But if you have smaller ones, no.

Now... on to the GOOD STUFF!! I am only 25, and have only drank heavily (Two to Three 1.75's of vodka a week for 1 full year)... so this is my regimine. WOMEN: ONLY DIFFERENCE IS DO NOT USE THE ANIMAL PAK, USE THE GNC WOMENS SPORT PACK.

To get all the nutrients your body has lost from the alcohol could take years, but I'm a firm believer in the 'body heals itself'... but you still need to help it reach it's goal. I assume no responsablilty if any of you experience liver damage or have health issues, so the dosage is up to you. I will only enter the types of aids, not the amounts.

Milk Thistle
GNC Big 150 (B-Vit Complex)
Vitamin B1 - Thiamine
Beta-Carotene
Fish Oil
Folic Acid
Animal Pak (Women, I'm not sexist, but this is for hard core guys who work out. I run and lift light weights (I'm a Beckham build at about 180lbs) and I wouldn't even take it. I take GNC Mega Men, but the withdrawals have me on this heavy stuff.

Of course, pound the water, and make it distilled. Regular water already has minerals, so your body absorbs them out of the spring and tap water. Distilled doesn't have any minerals, so when it passes through your body, the distilled water actually absorb the negative minerals... Why do you think Smartwater makes you feel sooo good!!!

Keep it up everyone and in no time, you won't even crave a drink. You'll have a six-pack - on your stomach, not in your shopping cart!!

nice work

I have recently accepted that I do have a huge issue with alcohol. Everyone around me can see it. Started as fun, having a few beers. Went through a divorce, drinking worse so went to vodka so try to hide it. I had to go to the ER due to a bite on my thigh (they think a recluse spider). Went 3 whole days without drinking but my leg looked like a watermelon and I could not control my bodily functions. Being so sick, dehydrated I was sent to ICU. Of course I didn't say I drink all day everyday. So after a couple of days in the hospital on pain med's and antibiotics they could not figure what was going on. I was hallucinating, talking to people in a chair that were not there, I couldn't tell if I was awake or asleep and dreaming. I left after 6 days, stayed sober almost a month. Felt the old me. My ex had to party everyday and I had to keep up. He's gone, I have no excuse. I want to get clean and never touch alcolhol again. Does anyone know of I way other than rehab, I know I should wean myself down, but is there something to help with the craving and the pain my body feels when you try to stop?
Thank you for any help.

Hi guest, I was wondering how you are doing since your last post?

Hi, Oh God what a horrible day, Just feel the need to share, Sooo Alone and scared not knowing where i will end up.
I can remember, going out with my mates having a laugh every week-end, it's what week-ends were for.
If I'm honest though I always had to do it(the drinking)that little bit harder than everyone one else, I was good at it, I was finally good at something other than my job, I was a drop out and in a dead end job but I was good at it!!!!!!!!!!
Back to today 4 days without a drink, my best friend (ex husband) has met someone new and hasn't got the first clue as to how it cuts threw you when you first see them with someone else for the first time since you broke up. Needless to say I asked him if he cared anything for me he will not have any contact with me.
He said he respected that, we shall see.

So 4 days alcohol free, no friends or family hence coming on here and cholesterol very high.
I was wanting to punch someone, then I wanted to cry, run away hide, feeling desperate, helpless.
WORST of all it took me back to a very dark place in my life, that I never wanted to return to.
I will keep going and see what tomorrow brings.

Hang in there, you CAN do it.
I quit 29 years ago today.
October 19 1981 was a night I'd rather forget, that was the last time I had a drink.
I met a state trooper on the way home and he was not pleased about my condition.

For a while I missed the evenings at the bar but I soon realized they weren't as much fun as I thought they were. Oh there were some some fun times, but most of the nights all I was doing was drinking myself stupid hoping for a repeat of one of the fun nights.

I can't even imagine doing that now and worrying about how I was going to get home without meeting a cop. It just seems so dumb now. I sure don't miss the way I felt in the morning and for most of the day.

So stick with it, it's certainly worth it.

I'm a 42 year old woman. I had a drug addiction in my young teens up till 21 years of age. At that time, I decided to have a beer here and there. That progressed to 6 beer a day every second day. It wasn't long before I was drinking 6 to 7 beer a day. Now I can drink 8 or 9 beer a day. My liver shows signs of trouble. I had no problem quitting drugs cold turkey, quitting cigarettes cold turkey, but alcohol has a huge grip on me. My doctor doesn't seem to want to help at all with any kind of medications to help me with withdrawals. The withdrawals are my greatest fear because I already suffer from ptsd and anxiety and panic disorder.
Trying to wean my self off starting yesterday. I'm using de-alcoholized beer to fill the voids of another beer, or I will mix half a real beer with the near beer. My anxiety was so bad today at the dollar store that I dropped my basket and left the store when I only had to wait for one more customer ahead of me to cash out.
No, I sit here having one beer to calm my anxiety. It always works. I will continue to wean myself off for the next month and hope it works. Does anyone have any other advice for me? I have alprazolam in my medicine cabinet a friend gave to me. Was thinking about trying it out because my biggest fear is going into an alcoholic seizure. Being a drinker for 21 years is a long time so it is a huge concern for me to seizure. Does alprazolam work for withdrawals like the rest of the 'pam' drug families?

Hi Jodyblue, I'm no expert as you can see, I dont know why your Dr wont help you with Librium to help with the cravings and anxiety.
It really helped me and I didnt take them all. Maybe your kidneys and liver may not be able to break them down for you. I dont know. Have you tried rescue remedy? I suffered terrible anxiety after my dog was attacked by a pit bull but I used this and it does help.

I Know I did prey for help as well and no I'm not that religious but I am spiritual. I am here all alone no family and only acquaintances so yes I reached out to god and this site. Don't forget alcoholism is a disease of the brain and once you get your head around it you can do it.
Fair play to you for going cold turkey on the drugs and the cigs. I went cold turkey on the cigs as well and if you can do that you can do this. Good luck your not on your own I'm far away from being out of the woods yet 10 days sober today but I'm determined, and thinking about all the money I can save and take myself on a holiday.

Hi Client,
Thank you on the congrats, and congrats to you also on your 10 days of sobriety. Have you also been a steady drinker for years as I have and daily too?
I will ask my doctor about Librium if this last attempt myself doesn't work, but the reason she won't prescribe me anything is because of my addictive personality. But if I have to go to see her after this last attempt on my own, I will tell her that she needs to prescribe me something that can get me through the first few days, then I should be fine, if not, she should be partially responsible for my continuing to drink and damage myself further.
What is rescue remedy?
Wow, i'm so very sorry to hear about the dog attack. That must have been horrible for you. That would definitely cause PTSD. My animals are my life.

Hey I would really like to get more advice from you: I am in a terrible situation and wonder if I am going to wake up each day. I live in Asia and teach English I and I haven't had a sober day in over a 100 days. I also live on an island that doesn't have the best treatment and actually they drink a lot more here than I thought. I am addicted to Xanax as well and wonder if I ever will live a normal day. I think we are or you were in a simliar position like me. I would like your feedback if you have time. Hope you are well.

I just want to thank you for all the information. I have a friend who has been drinking 5 to 6 1.75's a week. He stopped vodka and is drinking about 4 to 5 beers a day. I can tell he's really hurting and I'm fraid he will relaps. I will show him this blog. thank you!

Hi, I don't know if anyone still follows this thread but it has been very helpful. I am not an alcoholic but my boyfriend is. Do you have an any tips as to how I can help and support him? I find it hard sometimes to stand my ground when he drinks. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am an alcoholic.  Have been drinking vodka for years and am ready to stop.  I asked for librium for 30 days, as I am motivated, and have set up a weaning plan.  I have the support of my daughter, sister and husband.  Hoping to get out more, as weather after hip replacement has kept me indoors, alone all day.  Now that I can move, it'll be day by day.  Good thoughts to all!  And thanks for this thread!

Hi everyone,

This is a great site and would like to follow it.  I have drank for 31 years and sadly, I started experimenting with Vodka 3 months ago.  I fell and cracked my head open and had to spend time in the hospital.   When I came to, I didn't know if I was dead or alive. NOw, I am off the Vodka, and trying to wean  myself off of wine.  I was drinking 3 liters of red wine per night, now today, I only had two tumblers today and one light beer, but I am going through withdrawals all over again.   I have quit maybe 5 times through the years but always relapse.  The insomnia is the worst, along with the creepy, vivid dreams I do have when I drift off when cutting back or not using at all.   I can barely type because the shakes are so bad this time.  Today was a beautiful day but I am angry with myself because I was bed ridden all day and have been up since midnight last night, tossing and turning.  It sucks.   For those of you whom have quit, congrats; and for those of you whom are still trying I am proud of you too for wanting to take charge of your life. 

I 100 percent buy into op s advice. I dont taper like he suggests but everything else works. Ive quit vodka several times cold turkey. I get the shakes a little bit but nothing i cant handle. When i quit i pound water work out 2x a dayand animal paks. It replaces the vitamins and contains a liver booster which helps detox. I always quit cold turkey bc if i taper i just have an inclination to binge. Whatever works for you. I combo my regimen with valerian and detox tea. It works everytime. Day 3 im usually semi normal. Ive been drinking for 10 years and ive learned mist of withdrawal is mental. Tell yourself youre ok ...you feel fine. Mind over matter. Stay safe and sober my friends.