I have been drinking, pretty much, every day for the past three years. Before that, I was always a heavy weekend drinker. I normally drink a pint of rum (although, recently one pint no longer seems to "do the trick") every night, but only after the sun goes down. I never drink during daylight hours (unless there is a special occasion), but I often feel dizzy, light-headed, anxious (have been rushed to the emergency room for anxiety attacks a few times), depressed and moody when I’m not
drinking.

I haven’t had a drink in the past three days and, in addition to the above symptoms, I also now feel like my tongue is swollen (although it doesn’t appear to be when I look in the mirror) and it feels, and appears, that I have swollen glands. My question is: Are these additional symptoms normal due to alcohol withdrawal? I have had similar symptoms in the past, when trying to quit drinking, and they always seem to go away after just one drink (whether it be beer OR hard liquor).

Thank you for any input!

Whatever you are experiencing, if it started once you stopped drinking, it must withdrawal effects. Although the feeling of swollen tongue may not be the most common one, it is probably a withdrawal symptom.

Alcohol withdrawal symptoms usually last for 7-10 days. If you manage to last that long, you will be symptoms free. If your swollen tongue sensation persists, you may decide to see a doctor and have this checked!

Are you using any of the drugs used for controlling the symptoms of alcohol withdrawals? I know for a fact that Tegretol for example is being used for controlling the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal (among other things) and that it may cause dry mouth, red and swollen tongue as a side effect.

Swollen lymph nodes may persist for a little longer, at least they do after sickness.

I had a swollen tongue before and after detox, I also have a vitb12 deficiency this has caused my folates to crash, this was why my tongue was soo swollen and sore, I had a hack the whole way down my throat, i am 9 days sober, I have swollen neck glands but apart from that I feel fantastic, folic acid tablets from doc cured my tongue in a day, hope this helps