i've started using clobestone butyrate for skin problem on scrotum, and i'm wondering how long it usually takes before people see improvements using topical steroids? i've been using it for 5 days so far, but am not sure if theres any signs of imrpovement yet, though the problem is quite mild but chronic. So i'm just looking for a general answer like 'couple of days', or '2 weeks'. I have tried searching on google but couldnt find the answer so i cam hear. thanks

Clobetasone butyrate topical ointment is used for dermatitis. Its effect should be almost immediate. Thorough washing of the affected area with soap and warm water prior to its application is important to remove any oily residue on the skin surface that might prevent the corticosteroid from reaching the skin surface.

Hi Star: The problem with topical steroids is that it has to be in lower doses and is mixed with a cream base. So usually it is almost negligable - ESPECIALLY the ones from pharmacy off the shelves. So since your cream is by perscription is will be a higher dose of Steroid. The thing with that is that you ahve to take into consideration how long you have had the skin disorder, right?! And also how many layers of the dermis are involved with it, so if it was just on the top of your skin, then the steroid would work a lot quicker and you would see the differnece in days. BUT if your condition is causing thickness of the skin, or goes down several levels - in particular if it goes deep into the dermis - this is going to take a LOT longer. I would give yourself 2 weeks of continuous usage, I don't know if your doctor has stated for you to slather it on and make sure ALL is absorbed, or a certain amount. The key IS to make sure it is abosrbed into the skin. So if in 2 weeks you still do not see any improvement, then definitely go get checked out again. They could increase the amount of steroid in it. Also check into sunlight therapy, with your doctor. Many skin conditions can be helped with a little sun!!

Good luck, and please let me know how everything is coming along!

I think that by this point that you should have seen the benefit of your steroids. I think that since it is not working at this point or that it appears to not be working that you should talk to your doctor about something stronger because it is pretty clear that they are not working properly. Please keep us posted on what your doctor says.

Does it make much difference as to what temperature i wash with? it's much easier to apply the steroid when my scrotum is cold and therefor shrunk towards the body, rather than all loose. Also, the steroid is quite oily in it'self, and i have noticed the skin which i am applying it too feels quite oily, does this mean that it's not getting absorbed? I use an emollient aswell which is quite oily, but have staretd using it less.

Also should the cream dissapear into the skin when i rub it in?