Hi, I have been diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis. I have been advised to use Nizoral shampoo, and I have started treatment. What else can be helpful? My scull skin is itching all the time and if I start to scratch it , it gets more and more irritated.

If you suffer from is a chronic inflammatory disorder, you have experienced seborrheic dermatitis It is mostly affecting parts of the head and trunk where sebaceous glands are most prominent. Scalp seborrhea can be very annoying and can vary from mild dandruff to dense, adherent scale. Apart from it’s irritating side, it is also esthetically unpleasant. Certain sorts of yeast can be responsible for dandruff, so in treatment antifungal agents are applied. Some preparations contain selenium sulfide, zinc substances like pyrithione zinc are very effective as well or ketoconazole-containing shampoos (Nizoral) and topical ketoconazole cream. Terbinafine (Lamisil) solution can be another treating option.

Hi, I had a very severe case of seborrheic derm for 5 years....Yikes, I tried Nizoral, Nutregena T-sal, and a whole host of seborrheic dermatitis shampoos, heavy topical steroids etc, NOTHING topical ever helped unfortunately. I have found, after 5 years of suffering with this Aweful disease, and 14 doctors later, that skin diseases need to be healed Internally before you will see lasting results externally! Anything topical is just a bandaid, not a real solution to the problem. The only thing personally that has helped me is a very Potent Liquid Vitamin/mineral/nutrient supplument called VIBE, by Eniva...It helped me so much so that I decided to become a distributor....

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed **

Scott

I have had seborrhea for 30 years. For me, it has never cleared completely. The best treatment has been the nizoral cream and shampoo. The facial seborrhea is by far the most pernicious and never fully resolves. I would run the other way from any Dr. who prescribes only topical steroids for seborrhea. They are stuck in the past. That was the band-aid treatment of the past when they had no idea what to treat it with. In medicine, if you don't know how to treat a condition or know its cause, throw a steroid at it. And since seborrhea is so chronic, steroids damaged my skin by thinning it and causing permanent telangectasias. I wish I had not used those steroids prescribed to me by the first Dr. I was treated by 25 years ago.

The vitamin idea someone else suggested is generally a good concept. However, don't expect to gain any clearing of seborrhea form vitamins. I also don't like the idea of someone suggesting a specific treatment who has a vested interest in the product mentioned. Run the other way! Personally, I find that B vitamins may actually cause my seborrhea to flare up or worsen. Trust me, I have tried all of the nutritional stuff, it just doesn't work. And I'm a health nut too, by the way.

Although my seborrheic skin often feels oily if I haven't washed for 8hrs, it tends to become very dry and flakey after washing. But avoid oily moisturizers, they tend to worsen the condition. Try NaPCA with aloe non-oily moisturizers, often available in spray bottles. Use this especially on the face following washing.

The nizoral shampoo works well to manage the condition but too much use seems to be very drying to my scalp. Good luck on treating your condition.

I have seborrhea also for 25yrs since my teens.  It affects my eyebrows and teezone area.  The best treatment for me also has been the nizoral cream.  I have tried everything going with very little relief from the itch.  The nizoral cream cleared my condition completely about  6/7 yrs ago. I was using the nizoral cream twice a day every day and this was successful for a long period of time. Then the itch came back.  At that time I was using only water to wash my face which I believe was wrong.  I now wash my face with a soap called noble zinc soap and use the soap on a buf buf to help remove the flakes.  I still get the itch even with regular use of the Nizoral cream.  I worry that it's the Nizoral cream that is making my skin itch.  My skin does look clear when using the nizoral cream but the irritation persists........this is the reason I keep changing and trying different things.  If the itch/irritation could stop while using the nizoral cream I would be very happy.  Maybe the Nizoral cream is very drying?? Maybe I should not use it every day?? There has to be a happy medium with this but it is difficult to find.

The absolute best thing for me is a week in the sun.  This totally clears my skin.  Maybea session on the sunbed every so often would be a good thing?

Has anyone had success with applying a moisturizer after washing and then applying the nizoral cream?

hi folks,I am suffering from Seborrheic Dermatitis around my nose, eyebrows and beard areas. I have just bought Nizoral cream online to try and treat the problem as I've heard it helps however, I bought it off a company in Norway and the insrtuctions isn't in english. I was wondering does anyone how I should use it..what I mean by that is this: do I just put the cream on my face and leave it on over night or should I use it like shampoo and rinse my face,apply and then rinse off after a few mins??

keep in mind that this is the Nizoral cream and not the shampoo..If anyone can help then I would really appreciate it,Thanks :)

Wrt to using the Nizoral cream, just apply a thin layer to your face with a cotton bud and then allow to absorb, no need to wash off like a shampoo. 

My own experience is that Nizoral didn't work for me. What cured my Seb Derm was daily application of a soap free cleanser . (Cetaphil) + Elidel cream (for which the active ingredient is an immunomodulator called pimecrolimus). Hope that helps.

Bin there, done that!!! By accident I found that bathing with salts would mollify my itchy, flakey and very thin SD skin patches. Now after taking a shower I scrub the affected skin with Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate) and as long as this skin-friendly salt permeates my Seborrhea it remains is under control, and my skin looks and feels normal.