Although some may think that this is a silly question, I am an 29 year old avid health fanatic who is interested in a healthy life.

A friend of mine told me that once a day was not enough and that many of the fecal remains from not eating enough fiber can make a person sick. Whether or not this is fact, it did prompt me to think about my regularity and what is considered normal.

Perhaps there may be some truth to that statement and the many health challenges older adults face as we all age. Clearly this would not explain all of the health challenges but it may account for some.

Does anyone know the real facts on normal adult bowel movement frequency?

Warmest Regards,

Hugh G. Phart

My husband and I got in a discussion about this the other night, so I decided to see what I could find out....

What I have found has slightly confused me. I have read that 1-3 times a day is normal... but also that if you eat 3 meals a day you should have 3 bowel movements.

Do know if this helps or not, but stumbled across your post during my research.

i have a friend in school to become a medical assistant and she told me that to be regular you should poop 3-4 times a day. once in the morning and then after each meal. if not you are carrying 25 pounds of undigedted foods.

Experts disagree on how often one should poop, however, the National Institute for Diabetes and Kidneys says three times a week is healthy. Most experts agree that once daily is healthy. Poop has fiber in it and yes it carries bacterias out of the body. The amount of water you drink is key to how long it takes for you to poop. If you are drinking enough water and I assume you are, you should be just fine. Your waste absorbs water from your body.