Alright, thought I'd open another chatty thread about skincare. 

So, guys, how many times a day do you wash your face? What do you use for facial cleansing and why do you choose to wash your face the amount of times you do? 

I keep on coming across blog posts that advise people to wash their face twice a day and twice a day only. 'Cause apparently, yeah, if you do it more often than that your skin's stripped of it's protective layer and you get more sebum production = oily skin in return. But then I read that the skin has a protective layer but it starts forming again right after you clean your face and it's completely back within 20 minutes. 

Frankly, sometimes when I go out at night I wanna wash my face to start with a clean slate with regards to day makeup/night makeup. But I've been avoiding that 'cause I really don't want oily skin. 

OK, what say you? :)

Twice a day here too, unless I get dirty or decide to take a relaxing bath or something. I wash my face in the shower in the morning, with a facial cleanser though. In the evening, I remove my makeup with makeup remover and then use the cleanser again. Then I put on my night cream. If I am being really lazy I also have a bottle of micellar water handy, to remove makeup and cleanse my face in one go. It does not work all that well, so I save it for those nights where I am basically even too tired to walk to my bed. I have not heard the advice that washing your face more than twice is bad, this is just what I do because it fits into my life.

5 times a day.

For real? Why? Do you like do physical work that has you really sweaty or something? That sounds very excessive and definitely like something that could strip your skin of the natural protective oils that keep things looking nice. I basically wash my face in the morning and at night. Some days I feel really tired and just go into bed without washing my face at night but that is really more an exception. Two times a day is the norm I think and I have definitely heard that doing it more often is not good.

Interesting replies so far! Thanks for sharing that... I'm still interested in hearing more because it's only a small number of folks that have replied thus far but yeah, I do get the impression that twice a day is normal for face washing. Those who choose to do it more often, I'd like to know what your reasoning is and whether you consulted anyone else about it. For ladies, yeah, the main reasoning is probably, just washing your face more often takes your makeup off and then you have to reapply it all over again... and who wants to do that?

Celebrity

I wash my face twice a day as well. Not very original, am I?

My evening routine is more involved than my morning routine. In the evening, I remove any makeup I am wearing and then wash my face. I have recently been trying the Oil Cleansing Method. Then I put on some tea tree oil on my breakout areas, diluted with water, and a mix of jojoba oil and hempseed oil or a natural moisturizer I recently got that was artisan made. 

In the morning, I wash my face in the shower very quickly with a face wash and then get ready for the day. I don't have the time to devote to anything more complex and am not awake enough either yet. 

Twice a week, I do exfoliating and often home-made skin masks as well. They are always part of my evening routine. 

Rosie

OK, because we all seem in agreement with regards to the amount of times to wash the face, here are some other tips:

• You use your hands to wash your face, in one way or another. Make sure to wash your hands before you wash your face!
  • Pick the right cleanser for your skin type!
  • Never clean your face with just a plain bar of soap. This is drying, even for very oily skin types. 
  • Never use the same washcloth to cleanse your face more than once. Bacteria just build up there. 
  • Use lukewarm water to cleanse your face, not cold or hot water. 
  • Pat, don't rub, your skin dry after washing.

Just coming back here to see if anyone else is interested in responding... this thread seems to have gotten lost in a sea of other posts.... Now that spring's coming up, I'm thinking ahead about a change in skincare. In winter I use more heavy duty face creams, in spring I like to go more natural without too much makeup so I want my natural skin to look as good as possible. Of course face wash is a big part of that. Wondering now which face wash I should buy to keep the premenstrual spots away and get my skin looking great for warmer weather.

Celebrity
I'm here! I am looking forward to some warmer weather myself and am jealous if you already have it! You already know what to expect from me, right? If you don't want to, I totally understand, but these face wash products are pretty easy to make yourself at home.

- Apple cider vinegar. Mix with an equal amount of water or even two parts water to one part apple cider vinegar. If you have a hint of oily skin, this really helps. Just apply moisturizer after you are done.

- Olive oil, jojoba oil, water and apple cider vinegar in equal parts. Massage this in well until it starts warming up and you feel bits of skin and blackheads and so on. Then wipe it off and wash with water. You have some residual moisture left from the oils. Follow up with moisturizer if you think you need it.

- Just avocado oil, use the same technique. This works well for dry skin also.

Hope that helps.

Rosie

LOL, sorry. I do like a lot of your suggestions but to be perfectly honest I just want a face wash from a shop and not something I make myself... don't have time for that mate. Also, yeah, vinegar on your face? Just no. I did hear about that oil cleansing technique and though it seems to work nicely for some folks I also heard that some basically ruined their skin that way so I'm not doing that either, nope, not even thinking about it. Commercial suggestions still welcome though...

I wash my face twice a day and I'm a 16 year old girl (17 on Thursday), sometimes i do it three times because i have exceptionally oily skin but i have been prescribed skin tablets to keep on top of the acne and oil.  I use a face mask at night from the body shop and in the morning i use a clean and clear exfoliating scrub. 

I started washing my face only once a day recently. Sounds weird, right? Hear me out. I started because I had pimples and read an article that said washing your face too often could cause issues, and most people can get away with washing their faces once a day perfectly fine, and that this would be better for the preservation of the skin's natural oils. As long as you sleep on a clean pillow, your face just isn't going to be dirty in the morning. I also use a gentle cleanser after my makeup remover and my face looks a lot better now than when I was cleansing in the morning and evening. Just something to consider.

No, that actually makes all the sense in the world. I have not tried this yet. I guess I feel dirty even in the morning and want to wash the sleep off my face, if it were. So I always have a shower in the morning, wash my complete face, and then in the evening I just wash my face and I don't have a shower unless I'm going out somewhere. I don't sweat a lot so I still feel clean in the evening, but I can't seem to wake up without prepping in the morning. How did you get around this?

hi,

thats me too im 16 and have oily skin so ive been washing it with this eucerin antibacterial soap hoping to get less breakouts and less oily skin... i also exfoliate 2 or 3 times a week. well i just read that maybe what im doing to keep my skin clean and hopefully free from breakouts may be bad for the skin and could cause more acne and oil products than if i laid off the cleansing because overcleansing causes more oil. im now real confused not sure what to do next. just want healthy skin im so embarrased of my face sometimes... :(

Celebrity

What I am currently doing is washing my (dry and sensitive) skin once a day. I don't usually wear any makeup at all, which helps, but still it took a long time to work out the logistics. I always jump in the shower in the morning, but that's for my body, not my face. My face may get wet but I do not wash it. At night, I'm currently experimenting with castille soap, which is drying but then I apply a generous amount of simple Argan oil and my face feels a lot better. I choose shea butter when my face feels extremely dry. Since switching to washing my face once a day, it has improved in texture and look.

Rosie