Users comments and reviews on article Dehydration - Causes, Symptoms, and Prevention by Dr. Soni Vijay

When you say eight glasses of water per day, does that mean that you mean 8 oz. glasses, or does that even matter? I'm a pretty tall guy who needs to eat a lot more calories so I imagine that I would have to drink more water than most people would plus I am pretty physically active too. I think that this was a pretty helpful article so thanks for posting it. Does anyone else out there drink their 8 oz. of water eight times a day?

There's that 8 to 10 glasses a day thing again. If you Google "8 glasses of water a day" you will find a lot of information that disputes that claim.

Snopes has a pretty good write up about it that combines most of what you find on the other sites.

No one seems to be able to find where it came from but it has been repeated so often that it's now taken for fact. Kind of like global warming and extinction of species caused by us and a whole host of other things politicians and special interest groups like to use to impose their rules upon us.

At the age of 69, I can say I know I never drank anywhere near that amount of water a day on a regular basis. I drink when I'm thirsty, and that varies a lot depending on what I'm doing and the temperature.

My normal daily intake this summer goes like this: one 16.9 oz. bottle of spring water, about 16 oz. skim milk, one or two 6 oz. cups of coffee. It is less in the winter.

One day last week I was out with a rail club from 7 AM to 7:30 PM, clearing and mowing several miles of rail that has not seen a train over it since the ski trains from Boston to N. Conway NH stopped running in the early 50s. Preparing it for a group outing this Saturday.

The temperature was near 90 and humid. I know exactly what I drank during the day because I took most of it with me. Four 16.9 oz bottles of water, one 16.9 oz bottle of ice tea, one 6 oz cup of coffee, and a 12 oz cup of Pepsi.

So there is quite a difference in what I consume depending on what I'm doing.

the amount of water a person takes differs from time to time depending on the temperature of the environment and the persons body itself. the point is to maintain the urine in the diluted condition. if it is concentrated then there is more chances of urinary stones. drink enough water that satisfies your body it may be 4 or 8 or 10 glasses.

I drink 9 - 8oz. cups a day.

Wow njoyn I totally missed your post from awhile ago but it's very insightful. Thank you for sharing that because I had no idea that it was so unnecessary! Thanks :-)

I have read the above posts on dehydration - and was wondering what else I can do ? I think that I have tried everything possible to prevent dehydration during long events. On Sat I did a night race and half way through I started throwing up and had to pull out. The weather was warm so I knew that I had to take in more water which I did. This is not the first time this happens to me during an endurance event. Is this events just not for me ? I am quite fit and I am capable of doing these distances but it is just that when the weather conditions changes slightly (warmer) I get very sick. Please help.

does these flavoured water have calories in them????