Tomorrow morning, mrs coach and I are going to run a 5K with our daughter, the lovely and talented coachette.

Coachette is very talented athletic wise, and I have bragged her up many a time. When she found out we were running in this race, she begged us to do it.

Coachette will turn 9 on Sunday, the day after the race.

We are going to do it, and let me assure you, we have put no pressures on her whatsoever...told her she might need to walk...that's a long way...if anything we tried to discourage her.

But, as I said she is pretty talented, and she knows this, and she is determined to not only run this race, but asked if she can start running in other road races next summer.

I'm very scared of this. First, I don't want her to be competitive at this age. Second, I don't want to push her. Third, I want her to enjoy herself. Fourth, I want her to be proud of herself.

If this is something she enjoys, and gives her pride....should she run? Or is it just too young?

Reguardless...she will be running tomorrow morning...I guess we'll just see how it goes.

If she wants to, I say let her. It's just like any other sport, right? It wouldn't be a problem if she wanted to play softball, would it?

Except we all know running kicks way more ass than any other sport.

I agree with MED. Let her try it. I hope she has a good experience tomorrow. Are 1 of you running with her at her pace?

I was running road races at that age, though I never "trained" or ran otherwise. I did some 5 milers, so I'd say if she enjoys it, go for it.

I believe we are BOTH running with her. Kind of a milestone.

Bryce is 8 and running a 5k tomorrow. I actually tried to talk him out of it as he hasn't run at all to my knowlege. He said "I run all the time at school, mom". This will be his second one.....he must have forgotten how sore he was after the first one.

......he's running it alone....it is age manipulated so I would "have" to start behind him if I ran anyway...and because of my current 5k pace, I doubt if I could make up the difference. Maybe next year

Have you thought about getting her in smaller kid races first? Tomorrow Nichole is running her first race. It's a 1k. :D She's nine too.

Damn Coach! What kind of father are you? You should have had her out there doing intervals for the past month so that she can beat all the other 8 and 9 yr olds!

Little Poky ran a .5k. She absolutely loved it.

OK, so I feel better now.

You don't understand, or maybe you do. You know, I'm like a coach and all, and I run and stuff, and I don't want people to think I'm like ruining this little girls life by pushing her to do stuff too early.

She ran that 3:15 half mile with basically no training except for just playing around. Since she did that...she's done a few runs on the treadmill, and did two miles last Friday. (10 min mile pace, I wouldn't allow her to go any faster on the 'mill)

I don't think she's too young, actually I think 9 is a great age to take an interest in running.
My 13 yo started running races when she was 8. Her first race was a 2 mile fun run, (Bam ran with her) and then she ran a 5k for her second race(I ran with her) when she was 9. She just finished her second year of junior high cross country and currently has a 5k pr of 22:18
We've always encouraged but never pushed her, she loves to run and I think she always will...

Support the kids running, but make sure it stays FUN.

Sounds like it was her idea, so you didn't push. If she wants to do it, let her until she stops wanting to do it.

:1: My son (age 8) has been pushing for this too...he doesn't run per se, but plays enough soccer to do be in pretty good shape compared to most of his peers...5k is fine but no more than that for the next several years...

Bam has said it best.
Let her run it, let you parents enjoy the first family run. If anything this could turn into a special time for you guys.