I've got my first tempo-long -tempo run on the schedule (we'll ignor the fact that I've neglected all others). At my tempo pace it looks like this 3.2 miles fast then run 9.5-10 miles then another 3.2 fast. There's a 5k locally tomorrow. Can I trust myself to run the 5k at tempo pace versus race pace?? Realistically, there is only a 10-15 second per mile difference in the two. But the backend 5k is rough for me, even at Marathon Pace.

My husband says race the dam# thing! I'm timid as I raced a 1/2 on Sunday, had probably my hardest tempo run on Wednesday and already have 70 miles under my belt for the last 5 days. I'm thinking maybe run the 5k and then reschedule long tempo for Monday.

*this 5k race means zippo to me. (as do most 5ks )

signed,
desparately trying to get into marathon shape

Can I trust myself to run the 5k at tempo pace versus race pace?? Probably not...
:umno:

I'm thinking maybe run the 5k and then reschedule long tempo for Monday.
That sounds like a great idea... :wavey:
Signed
I've been down that road before...

can you do tempo prior to the race? would make it more like the situation you'd be doing for a race then.

if not, just do tempo the next day then and race the d@mn thing.

I'm certainly not one to give out running advice, but based on past reports of yours I'm thinking that there is no way you can not race it.

I'm not sure what your training plans are and how this long tempo run fits into your goals, so I really can't answer that question. However, I was curious about how you came up with this workout. I don't think I have ever seen anyone do a long tempo run like this before.

Craig---Daniels.....Program A for marathoners over 70 mpw. I'm a little late getting on the program . The workout along with the doubles I'll be doing in the next couple of weeks should jumpstart my metabolism.

I think Pebbs and Poky know me too well. I skipped the race and did my workout on the treadmill. It was tough, but with gatorade at my side, I wasn't scared that I'd be weaving in and out of traffic if I bonked.

98.6 miles this week....hmmmmm, I've never had triple digits evah! :D

nah!!

I have no comment to this thread.... I can't believe the mileage you put in Sue. You're amazing.

If I came that close to hitting 100 MPW, you can dang sure bet the farm that I'd be out there putting in that last 1.4 miles just for the bragging rights.
Heck, I ran an extra 2 miles this week just so I could hit 60.

Yeah... what rolling rock said... unworthy.... unworthy.... then again, it just get's my ire up and makes me think... hmm... what would I have to do to get 100 MPW... who woulda thought I was competitive??? lol

didn't do it. I'll save the lunacy for fall training, when I plan to try alot of new (errrr...last resort) stuff.

:bowdown: WOW.
Nothing to add here....moving on...moving on....