Hi!

I was diagnosed with an avulsion fracture to my left ankle. The ortho said two weeks on crutches and then walking with the little air cast for as much as I can tolerate. I asked when I could try running again and he said 3 - 4 weeks. Does that seem kind of quick?

I have an appt with another ortho next week to get a second opinion because I am afraid of doing anymore damage to it and just want to be sure. The current ortho said he doesn't need to see me back unless it still hurts in three weeks. Never been through this before, but felt sort of dismissed.

Thoughts? Thanks so much!!

What were the end results, i.e., when were you able to run? Your story sound like a mirror image of mine. I'm into week 5 of my recovery. I haven't tried running yet because my ankle is still very sore during certain stretching moves. I'm very reluctant to start running for fear of reinjury. Thank!!
Joel

I had an avulsion fracture on my left ankle as well - happened in late September, 2016. It wasn't until about January 10, 2017 that I stopped hurting again (3 1/2 months).

During recovery, I did not do physical therapy. I simply walked as much as I could tolerate without feeling like I was going to damage something. I wore a compression sock and small elastic ankle brace which seem to have helped stabilize / straighten my ankle to help it heal. For pain, I only took Alive (Naproxen Sodium).

Now that 3 1/2 months have passed, my pain is minimal except when my ankle is cold (i.e. not warmed up yet) which causes limping. I have done good on the eliptical exercise machine the past couple of weeks and feel strong again. I think I will start trying to jog this weekend as long as the snow has melted - I don't think I'll make it far without pain, but a light speed walk / light job may be just what I need.