18 years ago my right foot was crushed at the 2nd and 3rd metatarsus near the ankle. Recently, I reinjuried the same area of the foot. I have been diagnosised with Lisfranc fracture. After being on crutches for 4 weeks non-weight bearing for the injuried foot, I was told it isn't healing.

My doctor has given me the option for surgery and also suggested getting a second opinion. The doctor isn't sure if screw will work since the bones are in pieces. He may have to put in a plate. I'm a Jazzercise instructor and would like to return to teaching. What is the recovery rate from surgery for full activity level? If I opt not to have surgery what are the chances of reinjuring the same area again?

Hi Poohtlb, welcome to the Lisfranc club! Follow these links for a lot of information. The first link is 14 pages full of information and the second link is because the first link got too full. I can't help you with your questions, but at least you'll be able to follow some links to websites on lisfranc injuries and hear other peoples stores which might help you with your situation.

I broke my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsal and have not had surgery. I also think I sprained my ankle. I feel I was spared surgery because I used to ballet dance for 12 years and maybe all the muscles in my feet held everything together.

Some websites state that only 1 out of 55,000 persons present with a lisfranc injury so we're a rare breed. I don't envy you with it happening twice. Urghhh...

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/lisfranc-foot&name=LISFRANC_FOOT&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/lisfranc-foot-fracture-thread-part-ii

Good luck and I hope you find the above links helpful, Kelly

my story began when i injerd my foot 17 years ago in the top of my foot but it wasn't a broblem for all the following years but i wasn't an active too untile a year and a half ago when i started runing and training for a half marathon i was doing great but at the end i felt bain at the top of my foot and since then for 6 months i've been have a lot of bain and it's not healing the quition is i wounder if a serjery can get me back to runing or other actveties or it would lmit my abilities for doing things? knowing that am 29 years old thanks
thank u for your consderations

I hurt my foot during a volleyball tournament on March 5th, 2008. As I sat on the side lines I knew something was very wrong with my foot. I stayed until the game was over, I then went to the hospital. After telling the doctor on call what had happen. He order the standard X-ray. I was told that I have a small fracture of the first metatarsal. I was placed in a post op boot and was told to stay off of it for two weeks. After that I could bear weight as long as I could stand it. I was to follow up with my family doctor. I did what I was told. After four weeks I returned to work as a fire fighter. That is when the intence pain started. I delt with it for two more weeks. I finally made a second appointment with my family doctor and told him that something was wrong. He sent me for a second X-ray. Which again showed the same break. Later that same day my doctor called me and told me he wanted to send me to an ortho doctor just to make sure. My first apt. with my new doctor started off with another x-ray. I informed him that I already had two and they both showed the same thing. He looked at me and ask if I was standing of sitting during my X-rays. I remembered looking at him, like of course, sitting my foot hurt, why on earth would I be standing. That is when he infomed me that the type of injury I was discribing can only be truely seen with weight bearing during the x-ray, which then will throw up a red flag for an MRI. After the x-ray and MRI I was diagnosised with a Lis fracture and surgery was performed the following day. So here I was 8 weeks after the break going into surgery. I had surgery April 26, 2008. He said everything went well and he expected a full recovery. It is now June 3 and I have made it through with little discomfort. I did have a small infection last week, which seems to be healing well with the help of antibiotics. I go back to see the doctor on June 10th for another x-ray and depending on what is found I am told I will get to bear weight while walking in a boot. I am hoping that I will be able to start my pt at that time also. I have been told that I will be having my two screw removed sometime later. How much later I am not sure. I am just looking forward to getting back to the job that I love and to the rest of my life. I am told that I would not be able to get back to running for 6 to 8 months. However, I will be able to bike. I am unsure when I will be getting back to my competive volleyball league, hopefully not to much longer after that. I am sorry if this was to long and about any spelling errors (no spell check found) I am just glade to find out that I am not alone in this.

I had surgury for a lisfrace fracture. All of my metatarsal were displaced
The injury occured when my foot was twisted after falling into a smalhole. I had surgury on may 8 08 it is now january 22 09. I can walk do a little running but somthing just didnt look or feel right. I asked my doc serveral times for a xray .
He said he did perform a post opt xray and everything looked fine. But he never showed my the xray . He hesatied whenever i asked him to show me the xray.
Anyhow , i wanted a second opinon so i went to an otherpedic for a xray.
Mann was i upset he said the reduction was not performed correctly and i have i large seperation on my joint and bone in the big toe i think its the 5th mentatsal . It looks crazy on the xray . I am surprised i can even walk . The doc did mention in his post opt summay the was a small seperation , but he said . `It was put back to a acceptable position. Ill put it like this ... the orthapedic said look at that xray a picture is worth a thousand words .. does that look like a small speration . no way. I am only 26 and another surgury is devasting mentally and physically . Does any know or antother procedure that can shift my bone back into place. I cried like a baby after my first surgury ....now i have rage and anger in my heart because the podiarist was so evil..... he didnt think about my well being ... only his F...cking pocket. I need help referances to specialist for lisfrace surgury ..... alternative procedures anything .... some one please reply ... if youve felt pain like me ..... gi mi some advice .

Has no one replied to your post yet? Are you still in pain?
First, any doctor or surgeon should show you your own x-rays. Usually, you can ask the radiology department for a print out of them. My hospital give me the digital photos on a CD at no charge!

Have you gone back to see what can be done about getting your bones aligned properly? I broke 4 of my 5 metetarsals last month and can share with you my own experience is setting. (Plates, pins, etc).