Hi, guys. My brother hurt his knee while playing football. It appears that he hurt his tibia in the part where this bone contacts the femur. His doctor says this fracture is called Segond fracture. I would like to know when this type of fracture occurs. It would mean a lot to me to know this. Thanks.

Hello. Segond fracture is a type of avulsion fracture. It means that soft tissue tears off the bone fragments which it is attached to. It is usually associated with tears of anterior crucial ligament and injuries of medial meniscus. It is a result of abnormal varus or “bowing” of knee structures. This is combined with internal rotation of tibia. As a result, there is a bone marrow edema in tibia which is under the Segond fracture. I hope your brother will be better. Please, let me know if I can be of more assistance. Good luck!