I will introduce myself first my name is trey and im 17 yrs old and am a beginning runner and im about 5'7 140lbs and i run in nike air zoom swift IV .I would just like to ask some of the veteran runners here why my ankles hurt so bad when i run? i have to keep running but my ankles and legs hinder me so much that its just a pain to run. i run beside my little brother and he has no pains at all. thnxs for any replies or help in advance

Try and notice next time you run if you run mainly on your forefoot or heels. Runnign more on your toes/ball of your feet will make your calves and ankles work harder so that could be why. That isn't to say you should change how you run ; you'll get used to it as they strengthen.

I would suggest you take a couple days off to see how your ankles feel. You could have just put on to much too fast. On friday after practice my ankles hurt A LOT but now on sunday night they are perfectly fine just from not running for 2 days.

How long have you been running? Mileage per week? Kinds of surfaces you run on? How many days per week? Types of workouts?

...really impossible to give advice without stats/background...

how old are the shoes?

xs, i dont run too fast too quickly my ankles just start hurting after i start running for a little while. and to jrjo i run maybe a mile, thats the max probabaly a little less. but ive been running off and on for a while now i run on pavement most of the time and do sprints, streches,backwards running and baseball practice with my brother. i do the sprints usually after i run, and stretch before.and to rubberlegs the shoes are pretty new. not brand new, ive probabaly put 10 miles on them, im not exactly sure.

One more clarification, are you training for distance running or baseball?

The reason I ask, is that might be the crux of the whole thing here. In many 'ball' sports, you've got a lot of lateral motion and ankle roll. If you don't have the proper footwear for that, you might be taking some strains from wearing running shoes if wearing them to play baseball. You really need a more supportive and protective shoe than a Zoom Swift is going to give you for playing on the ball diamond.

What I'd recommend is to not mix the two sports until you have the ankle healed. If the distance running is giving you the aches, then stick with baseball for awhile and once the ball season is over and you can stick with running exclusively, then lace up the Zooms again and hit the road.

well im not really playing baseball im just helping my little brother practice for baseball. i mostly just throw the ball and do a little hitting sometimes. I also forgot to say that i do lift weights too, but i doubt this has anything to do with the ankle pains.

My suggestion: Don't do sprints anymore for a few days. See how your ankle feels. If it still hurts the same take a couple days off. If it STILL hurts after that, you should probably go see a doctor to make sure you haven't tweaked it or anything.

well i rarely even do many sprints though so i really doubt this is a problem. my dad said it maybe because i dont run a whole lot and all the time, yeh i might just wanna go see a professional foot doctor maybe, but i dont think the foot pain should come day after day when i used to run for everyday for at least about 2 0r 3 weeks, this is when i decided to get some running shoes, this was about 2to3 months ago yet the pain still lingers evertime i run. when i land with my feet it just sends pain through my ankles, this is why my running distance is cut down so much, its just hard to deal with the pain for more than a mile.

Actually, I just thought of something.

When I run (and I run a lot, i have been running hard for the last 8 months and have been lightly running for the last 3 years), during the first mile about that we run my ankles and shins actually hurt a whole lot too. After a bit though they don't hurt at all though anymore. It doesn't sound like you are having rouble running a mile besides your ankle hurting, so I would suggest that you continue to run through it for another mile and see if it starts to feel better.

This may sound a bit risky, but since it sounds like you have been running through pain for a couple weeks now I doubt that it would do any damage.

:)