Im half spanish and half white. My skin is ivory but i scar easily. I use to chafe between my thy's .The once red bumps there are now gone but have become brown smooth spots. On my Vagina/Bikini line I am prone to ingrown hairs and razor burn since my hair is thick and curly much like a beard and as on my thys they have went from pinkish red bumps to now smooth brown spots. This is very embarrassing for me. Every time Im being intimate with my boyfriend the lights must be off. I feel disgusted with my self and i feel ashamed as if im the only one. I know other people chafe and get razor burn but does anyone else get these dark spots. Why do they become dark marks? What can i do to make them go away and what can i do to prevent it? :-(

stop shaving maybe maybe theyy are scars

I have stop shaving. I use the most exspensive most effective products for scars yet it seems to have no effect im thinking perhaps Hyper pigmentation?

Hello, I have had this too and have done much research. It is common in teens and young adults, you need topical antifungal cream (kinds are listed below). This is what I found at georiahealthinfo.gov I hope this makes you feel better!

(topical means medication that is applied on skin only) -it's like a small tube of lotion.

Definition:

Tinea versicolor (TIN-ee-uh vur-si-KUL-ur), also called pityriasis versicolor, is a common fungal infection of the skin. The fungus interferes with the normal pigmentation of the skin, resulting in small, discolored patches.

Tinea versicolor is most common in teens and young adults. Sun exposure may make tinea versicolor more apparent.

Antifungal creams, lotions or shampoos can help treat tinea versicolor. But even after successful treatment, skin color may remain uneven for several weeks until repigmentation occurs, and tinea versicolor may return, especially in warm, humid weather.

Back to TopSymptomsClick to Enlarge Tinea versicolor

Tinea versicolor is a type of infection that appears as a tissue-thin coating of fungus on your skin. The signs and symptoms of tinea versicolor are:

Small scaly patches of discolored skin

Patches that grow slowly

Patches that tend to become more noticeable after sun exposure

Possible mild itching

The patches can be various colors, including:

White

Pink

Tan

Dark brown

Although the discoloration may be more apparent on dark skin, the infection can affect anyone, regardless of skin color.

The infection, which is most common in warm, humid temperatures, usually affects the:

Back

Chest

Neck

Upper arms

When to see a doctor

See your doctor if:

Your skin doesn't improve with self-care measures

The fungal infection returns

The patches cover large areas of your body

Back to TopCausesHealthy skin may normally have the fungus that causes this disorder growing in the area where hair follicles open onto the skin surface. Tinea versicolor occurs when the fungus becomes overgrown. A number of factors may trigger this growth, including:

Hot, humid weather

Excessive sweating

Oily skin

Hormonal changes

Immunosuppression — when your immune system is unable to protect your body from the growth of yeast or fungus on your skin or elsewhere

Back to TopPreparing for your appointmentYou're likely to start by first seeing your family doctor or a general practitioner. However, you may then be referred to a doctor who specializes in skin disorders (dermatologist).

Because appointments can be brief, it's a good idea to arrive well prepared. Here's some information to help you get ready for your appointment, and what to expect from your doctor.

What you can do

Write down key personal information, including any major stresses or recent life changes.

Make a list of all medications, as well as any vitamins or supplements, that you're taking.

Write down questions to ask your doctor.

Preparing a list of questions can help you make the most of your time with your doctor. For tinea versicolor, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:

How did I get tinea versicolor?

Are there other possible causes for these symptoms?

Do I need any tests?

Is tinea versicolor temporary or long lasting?

What treatments are available, and which do you recommend?

What types of side effects can I expect from treatment?

How long will it take for my skin to return to normal?

I have other health conditions. How can I best manage them together?

Is there a generic alternative to the medicine you're prescribing me?

Are there any brochures or other printed material that I can take home with me? What Web sites do you recommend visiting?

In addition to the questions that you've prepared to ask your doctor, don't hesitate to ask questions during your appointment at any time that you don't understand something.

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:

How long have you had these discolored areas on your skin?

Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?

Have you had this or a similar condition in the past?

Do the affected areas itch?

Does anything seem to improve your symptoms?

What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?

What you can do in the meantime

Over-the-counter fungal creams or shampoos can often clear up tinea versicolor. If you don't notice any improvement after about a month of treatment, be sure to see your doctor.

Back to TopTests and diagnosisYour doctor can diagnose tinea versicolor with a skin exam. If there's any doubt, he or she may take skin scrapings from the infected area and view them under a microscope.

Back to TopTreatments and drugsIf tinea versicolor is severe or doesn't respond to over-the-counter antifungal medicine, you may need a prescription-strength topical or oral medication. Such medications for tinea versicolor treatment include:

Topical

Selenium sulfide 2.5 percent lotion

Ciclopirox (Loprox) cream, gel or lotion

Ketoconazole (Nizoral) cream or shampoo

Oral

Ketoconazole (Nizoral) tablets

Itraconazole (Sporanox) capsules

Fluconazole (Diflucan) tablets

Even after successful treatment, your skin color may remain uneven for several weeks, or even months. Also, the infection may return in warm, humid weather. In persistent cases, you may need to take a medication once or twice a month to prevent the infection from recurring.

Back to TopLifestyle and home remediesFor a mild case of tinea versicolor, you can apply an over-the-counter antifungal lotion, cream, ointment or shampoo. Most fungal infections respond well to these topical agents, which include:

Selenium sulfide shampoo (Selsun Blue)

Miconazole (Monistat-Derm)

Clotrimazole (Lotrimin)

Terbinafine (Lamisil)

Wash and dry the affected area. Then, apply a thin layer of the topical agent once or twice a day for at least two weeks. If you're using shampoo, rinse it off after waiting five to 10 minutes. If you don't see an improvement after four weeks, see your doctor. You may need a stronger medication.

Back to TopPreventionAvoid applying oil or oily products to your skin or wearing tight, restrictive or nonventilated clothing. Sun exposure makes the fungal infection more apparent.

To help prevent tinea versicolor from returning, your doctor can prescribe a topical or oral treatment that you take once or twice a month. Preventive treatments include:

Selenium sulfide (Selsun) lotion applied to the affected areas every two to three weeks

Ketoconazole (Nizoral) tablets once a month

Itraconazole (Sporanox) capsules once a month

-Update to the extremely LONG post (haha sorry about that)

You CAN pass this on to your partner so make sure he checks himself...not only "down there" but his armpits and middle of back too. Again, this is a fungus and is NOT harmful. Thank you :-)

I have the same issue. It's scaring from shaving, try waxing or bikin hair removal lotions like nair instead of shaving pubic area. Ambi, for women of color ie Hispanic, African American. Has a cream that evens complexion and tone. Also you could try skin bleaching cream very expensive, sold at Wal-mart. Hope this helps! :)

your not the only one i have been trying to get rid of it

its not a fungus. its because you shave. i get this too, its the type of skin we have. the inner thigh is a very sensitive place to shave. i used to do that as well, and i started using a skin toner. stop shaving, and start waxing. much better results.

i have it too by my bikini line and i also dont know what to do. at first i thought there was something wrong with me.

I'm a light skinned Hispanic and I too have that same problem and my fiance is Caucasian so he pointed that out real quick -_- so embarrassing. We recently had went to a sex store and he bought me Anal Bleach just to "try it out" (which I have yet to) mostly because I'm pregnant but you should def try some kind of bleaching cream and see how that works.

Use co co butter after every shower ...aply it to dark area. First 2 weeks Should start to see it's disappearing

I have these spots too. They started half a year ago. They come and go. Sometimes I don't see them at all and sometimes they are very visible. they were only brown for a few weeks. Now when they are visible, they are just red or pink. Mine is only located on the top part of my vagina/pubic bone where most of the hair is. I think lotion helps and exfoliation with a lufa in the shower.

It's not contagious I've had tinea versicolour for awhile keeps coming back my skins prone to it and it's NOT contagious

I have it too! I'm caucasian, and i totally thought it was razor scars, but i low key dont shave that often and right after i first saw it i remember thinking "i didnt even shave my inner thighs recently" but i concluded it was razor burn scars until it seemed to get darker.. So i did reserch and i agree, i think its tinea versicolor too! It says we all have yeast in our skin, but yeast thrives in warm damp places, which i why if we dont wipe (or pee) after sex some women will get yeast infections. My body must be the perfect temperature for yeast because i get them easily if i'm being careless. So it makes sense, since its been so hot and humid this summer that the yeast in my skin is thriving around my vagina, because i know yeast thrives in my regular vagina temperture. (Sorry tmi lol)
Anyway so i've been putting tea tree oil which is a natural antifungle and it really is starting to lighten!!! but obv the chemical store bought stuff would prob be more effective.

Can u get in you viginia