A friend of mine suffered a hamstring pull several months ago. He thought it was healed after 3 or 4 weeks so he did a track workout and re-injured the hamstring. It took a long time before he realized that he had to give up the race for several months until he was completely healed. My friend was also in his 40s when this happened. Fortunately, I didnt have such bad experiences but would like to avoid such things to happen to me.

As we get older, our muscles & tendons may lose some of their elasticity. You have to incorporate some stretching routine into your training program. This may help prevent pulled muscles in the future. Also, it takes longer to warm up as we age. It would be wise to begin all of your morning runs with a 5 minute walk. Many people find that in the mornings their legs are tight and that they need the walk to loosen up before they attempt running. You have to understand that anyone can pull a hamstring. Even very young runners can experience such problems. When to start running again? If you can feel the pull, you probably need more time for healing. Starting off with walking and gradually incorporating running into your routine would be a good idea. Maybe you can consider swimming as it is a very good cross-training exercise.