I want to improve my running time and overall fitness. A friend of mine told me that I should incorporate walk breaks during running. Should I listen to him? Is it a good way to run? I am reluctant to try new things. I heard about interval training. What should I do?

Oh, yes. It depends on what you want to accomplish. If your goal is endurance than you should probably avoid breaks. However some authors would disagree and state that walk breaks can contribute to the endurance athletes too. On the other hand if you want to become faster then breaks are definitely very valuable tool. Recent scientific findings suggest that running (especially at the fastest possible speed) for 30 seconds followed by 60 or 90 seconds of walk burns much more calories and speeds up the metabolism in such way that no other kind of workout can even come close to it.