Previous thinking that patients with certain forms of spinal injury were at very low risk of having additional injuries has been contradicted by the new findings. It seems that there may be additional damage to spine that regular x-rays cannot catch. In fact, a large number of patients had additional damage that may include significant fractures with the potential to produce serious spinal problems if not detected and treated in time.
The study showed that x-rays failed to detect secondary injuries in 36% of patients identified with cervical spine injuries. From now on, all the patients with cervical spine injury, including those who are considered low should undergo CT imaging of the entire cervical spine. CT should be used to determine whether secondary injuries are present and to identify those non-contiguous injuries that, in fact, occur in a substantial number of cases.

What about the folks who had it when they were 16 and are now 64? Cracked C-3 & C-4 in diving pool accident into unmarked shallow end when friend did a shallow dive thought it was a deep dive. Very fortunate but I have cracking and pain above my breast everything around the upper back cracks and shoulders too. Could this be due to aging showing the damage more? I had a fall that resulted in my hitting a piece of furniture and was give a "basic CT scan of the head" It was negative