Okay I'm a believer in the HR training method...every week since I have started using it my pace is getting faster while maintaining a predetermined heart rate. For example, last Saturday when I did my long run, I maintained the same target heart rates, and even though my long run was 2 miles further, my pace was 28 seconds per mile faster! Today I did my mid-week mini long run which was a mile further than last week, my average HR was actually a point lower than last week and again my pace was faster!

My husband is using a HRM and I had to hear him complain that he didn't think he could run so slow. I was even surprised to peek in on him on the treadmill and see him going 6 mph......this is a guy that I've never seen run slower than 7 min pace even after injury. He is always happy to get to a hard day.

He strapped his HRM to me the other day on an easy run and he couldn't believe how high I am for an easy run (I was 146)....he's definitely a convert and wants me to try training with HR. I'm not sold yet.

Of course I was depressed when I did that resting test that measures maximum cardiac output (which they say relates to Vo2max) I came up with 55 and I'm already training at VDOT of 55.

Well.....tomorrow will be my first day on "the program" did you guys follow it verbatim? or did you use your own milage. my plans for tomorrow are my normal 36 mile course but at the recovery ceiling. can't wait to "walk" up a hill in my skates. I offerred for the slower skaters to come out and join me. i figured it would help keep me honest, ya know?

I use my own mileage, and just follow his suggestions re: hard/easy days. Good idea about asking the slower ones! It is brutal the first few weeks. The humidity/temp has been up this week and I find myself having to go slower again. I just keep reminding myself how great I feel on my long runs since I'm so well rested.